FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Well if life goes good between now and then me and Mary might stop out, it is only 45 minutes north of here.
only two things we are looking for though, Black White Face Spanish or Black Copper Marans,
Any one planning on bringing any to the swap you know of?

From Tampa here, I am very slow in learning to communicate in cyber world. But I love this B.Y.C. site
I have a few 1 month old chicks and a 20 week old Silkie white.Anyone form North Tampa out there . Near Temple Terrace
wee.gif

Well if life goes good between now and then me and Mary might stop out, it is only 45 minutes north of here.
only two things we are looking for though, Black White Face Spanish or Black Copper Marans,
Any one planning on bringing any to the swap you know of?

I may be bringing a BCM hen. She is about a year old, but hasn't been laying much in the heat.

m
MyTDogs, I just sell kind of under the table to co-workers, friends and family, and to a few customers I met at swaps. I don't advertise anywhere or anything, and I barely keep up. And yes, I'm breaking the law. I figure they have bigger problems to worry about.

I was just wondering about Nava yesterday. Where are you, Nava?

Anybody selling eggs direct to customers here in FL? I am interested in trying to sell eggs but it looks like the laws are very complicated & will require a big outlay of $$ to do it right. Am I correct?

If anyone is willing to PM me with how they handle this issue I'd really appreciate it & keep it on the dl too, of course. Does everyone sell hatching eggs? Or for animal consumption only? Is that how you advertise them? I know I see & have bought eggs at people's gates all up & down the road to the feed store, are those people breaking the law?

I'd really LOVE to apply for an ag exemption on my property taxes but the chickens have to bring in $$ for that i think.

Why does it have to be so complicated? I thought that FL was all about Life, Liberty & all that with the gov't outta your business?!?

Thanks!!

Edited for typos

I'm not sure what law you're referring to regarding large outlays of money unless it's a city or county fee for having a business. Here's the Florida statute copied and pasted from flsenate.gov which mainly concerns itself with how you are to label your eggs:

583.02 Labeling, marking, and advertising eggs; sales between dealers; unlawful acts.—It is unlawful for any dealer:
(1) To offer for sale or sell in this state any case, partial case, or carton containing eggs which is not labeled with the date of pack; grade; size; and name and address of the packer, distributor, or dealer. However, the department may permit a dealer to sell or consign eggs to another dealer in this state without labeling provided such eggs are accompanied by a proper bill of lading, and provided further that the consignee, upon receipt of the eggs and prior to selling or offering them for sale, affixes to each case the labeling required by this chapter.
(2) To offer for sale or sell eggs in bulk (not in cases or cartons) from any open case, box, basket, or other receptacle holding such eggs in bulk without displaying conspicuously on every such case, box, basket, or other receptacle a placard or heavy cardboard not smaller than 7 inches by 7 inches in size, on which shall be legibly and plainly printed, in letters not smaller than 1 inch in height, wording showing whether the eggs offered for sale or sold are “cold storage eggs,” “unclassified eggs,” or “graded eggs,” and also stating the grade and size to which the eggs contained therein conform.
(3) To offer eggs for sale in any newspaper advertisement, circular, radio, or other form of advertising without plainly designating in such advertisement the grade and size to which the eggs being offered for sale properly belong.
(4) To use the name, logo, or certificate or permit number of the department on any egg or poultry advertisement or packaging material without written approval from the department.
History.s. 2, ch. 16012, 1933; ss. 2, 3, ch. 16982, 1935; CGL 1936 Supp. 4126(2),(3); s. 2, ch. 57-151; s. 2, ch. 61-413; ss. 14, 35, ch. 69-106; s. 2, ch. 73-81; s. 2, ch. 84-102.

I don't have enough chickens to worry about how to sell their eggs, but on the occassions when the girls are all laying regular at the same time, I welcome donations for their feed bill.

From Tampa here, I am very slow in learning to communicate in cyber world. But I love this B.Y.C. site
I have a few 1 month old chicks and a 20 week old Silkie white.Anyone form North Tampa out there . Near Temple Terrace
wee.gif

I am just north of Tampa in Wesley Chapel. Welcome to BYC, and the Florida thread!!!

I'm not sure what law you're referring to regarding large outlays of money unless it's a city or county fee for having a business. Here's the Florida statute copied and pasted from flsenate.gov which mainly concerns itself with how you are to label your eggs:

583.02 Labeling, marking, and advertising eggs; sales between dealers; unlawful acts.—It is unlawful for any dealer:
(1) To offer for sale or sell in this state any case, partial case, or carton containing eggs which is not labeled with the date of pack; grade; size; and name and address of the packer, distributor, or dealer. However, the department may permit a dealer to sell or consign eggs to another dealer in this state without labeling provided such eggs are accompanied by a proper bill of lading, and provided further that the consignee, upon receipt of the eggs and prior to selling or offering them for sale, affixes to each case the labeling required by this chapter.
(2) To offer for sale or sell eggs in bulk (not in cases or cartons) from any open case, box, basket, or other receptacle holding such eggs in bulk without displaying conspicuously on every such case, box, basket, or other receptacle a placard or heavy cardboard not smaller than 7 inches by 7 inches in size, on which shall be legibly and plainly printed, in letters not smaller than 1 inch in height, wording showing whether the eggs offered for sale or sold are “cold storage eggs,” “unclassified eggs,” or “graded eggs,” and also stating the grade and size to which the eggs contained therein conform.
(3) To offer eggs for sale in any newspaper advertisement, circular, radio, or other form of advertising without plainly designating in such advertisement the grade and size to which the eggs being offered for sale properly belong.
(4) To use the name, logo, or certificate or permit number of the department on any egg or poultry advertisement or packaging material without written approval from the department.
History.s. 2, ch. 16012, 1933; ss. 2, 3, ch. 16982, 1935; CGL 1936 Supp. 4126(2),(3); s. 2, ch. 57-151; s. 2, ch. 61-413; ss. 14, 35, ch. 69-106; s. 2, ch. 73-81; s. 2, ch. 84-102.

Thanks for posting this, Crossgirl, I never knew any of it! I've been selling eggs for some time now!

I was referring to this little bit of info http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fe828

Here's a quote regarding the facilities required...looks like a big outlay of $$ to do this by the book
hit.gif

Quote:

I was referring to this little bit of info http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fe828

Here's a quote regarding the facilities required...looks like a big outlay of $$ to do this by the book
hit.gif

The very first part of that page is the introduction, copied here:

Complying with Regulations to Sell Farm Fresh Eggs1

Brad Burbaugh, Elena Toro, Linda Landrum, George Harrison, John Fruin, and Allen Wysocki2
Introduction

In Florida, individuals selling, offering for sale, or holding for the purpose of sale any number of eggs fall under the jurisdiction and regulations of the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services' (FDACS) Division of Food Safety. Additionally, if you plan to sell eggs for human consumption and your flock size is more than 3,000 layers or you plan to sell eggs wholesale, you will fall under the jurisdiction and regulations of the United States Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Food Safety and Inspection Service. There is a fair amount of confusion regarding the regulations of selling farm fresh eggs. This publication is compiled in an effort to clarify the rules for small farms wishing to sell eggs based on regulations in Florida in 2009. This document provides an overview of the steps necessary to comply with Florida's existing regulations for selling eggs which are overseen by FDACS. The two areas to be discussed are facility minimum standards and the permitting process, including rental facilities, food protection manager certification, packaging, and labeling.

Note that it refers to flocks of more than 3,000 layers and persons planning to sell wholesale.

Back
Top Bottom