FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...da-swaps-sales-shows-events-fairs-georgia-too
check this BYC link, there are swaps all over, all year! :eek:) there are also facebook groups that help you find swaps, Chicken Swap of Florida is one of them.

Cmom, I would like to come to your meet. I know you have been at Bent Creek here in J'ville. How long does it take to travel here? And, of course, it would take as long for me to travel there. Thanks, Caroline
It is about a 2 hour drive. We usually have a great turnout. Much bigger than Bent Creek.

Quote: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Florida-Farm-Swap-Meets-Georgia-too-now/174687569238815?sk=events

Ok I just have to vent...we went on vacation for a week and just got back. I left 2 people ( an animal/pet sitter who stayed at my home and a 12 yr old girl 2 doors down) in charge of my animals and I have quite a few. Well...to my horror, my special needs chicked Zoey, was almost dead when I got home yesterday. She was severely dehydrated and skin and bones. The water was completely dry and there was no food in either feeder down under the coop. She drank for 20 minutes straight until she threw up and then some more. She then ate for over 2 hrs straight. Honestly ! I was beside myself. I had called several times and was assured all was well and everything was getting fed and watered. It's been over 95 here every day. Zoey cannot get back into the coop where they had been putting the feed and water. I stressed this to everyone and even wrote 4 pages of notes. The dumb pet sitter never checked the chickens as I asked her to, she left it entirely up to the 12 yr old. The dumb pet sitter went out and bought pre-shredded ICEBERG lettuce ( because she was lazy and didn't want to hand chop the romaine and collard greens and squash I had bought and instructed her to feed) for the tortoise and beardie. She then fed the beardie tortoise pellets and made soup out of them mixed with the iceberg lettuce. again, I had her over here twice and there were 4 pages of precise notes.She then instructed the 12 yr old to give out hermit crab water ( not the 12 yr olds job) and the 12 yr old filled everything , including the feed dish, with water and made a flood in the tank, so, the crab had no food either. I AM BOILING ! She was very "sorry" and siad she felt bad. Unfortunately, she is a friend of mine and I hope she knows how greatly this all upset me. Especially poor little helpless Zoey.
To make matters worse, my husband was chuckling and since nothing actually died, didn't think it was a big deal and can't understand how upset I am. He also made the rediculous statement that Zoey was not suffering, she's just a chicken and animals don't suffer like we do. I am ready to throw his sorry butt out on the street right now.....GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Today, Zoey seems better but her wings are still dragging on the ground, I guess she isn't strong enough to tuck them up , perhaps in a few days. I thank God we came home when we did or she surely would be gone by now......

I hope to check out the Hilltop Farm event this Saturday. I've been wanting to attend a swap, but something always comes up!
he.gif
I would like to add a BCM or two to my flock. I'm just looking to add egg color variety to my current colors. I only have 3 laying at this point, the others are too young.
I would also like to meet some local chicken lovers!!

Ok I just have to vent...we went on vacation for a week and just got back. I left 2 people ( an animal/pet sitter who stayed at my home and a 12 yr old girl 2 doors down) in charge of my animals and I have quite a few. Well...to my horror, my special needs chicked Zoey, was almost dead when I got home yesterday. She was severely dehydrated and skin and bones. The water was completely dry and there was no food in either feeder down under the coop. She drank for 20 minutes straight until she threw up and then some more. She then ate for over 2 hrs straight. Honestly ! I was beside myself. I had called several times and was assured all was well and everything was getting fed and watered. It's been over 95 here every day. Zoey cannot get back into the coop where they had been putting the feed and water. I stressed this to everyone and even wrote 4 pages of notes. The dumb pet sitter never checked the chickens as I asked her to, she left it entirely up to the 12 yr old. The dumb pet sitter went out and bought pre-shredded ICEBERG lettuce ( because she was lazy and didn't want to hand chop the romaine and collard greens and squash I had bought and instructed her to feed) for the tortoise and beardie. She then fed the beardie tortoise pellets and made soup out of them mixed with the iceberg lettuce. again, I had her over here twice and there were 4 pages of precise notes.She then instructed the 12 yr old to give out hermit crab water ( not the 12 yr olds job) and the 12 yr old filled everything , including the feed dish, with water and made a flood in the tank, so, the crab had no food either. I AM BOILING ! She was very "sorry" and siad she felt bad. Unfortunately, she is a friend of mine and I hope she knows how greatly this all upset me. Especially poor little helpless Zoey.
To make matters worse, my husband was chuckling and since nothing actually died, didn't think it was a big deal and can't understand how upset I am. He also made the rediculous statement that Zoey was not suffering, she's just a chicken and animals don't suffer like we do. I am ready to throw his sorry butt out on the street right now.....GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Today, Zoey seems better but her wings are still dragging on the ground, I guess she isn't strong enough to tuck them up , perhaps in a few days. I thank God we came home when we did or she surely would be gone by now......
I am so sorry to hear that! What a mess. I'm sorry that your hubby doesn't feel your pain. I hope that Zoey gets better soon. And I'm very glad that you returned home before the situation worsened.
hugs.gif

From Tampa here, I am very slow in learning to communicate in cyber world. But I love this B.Y.C. site
I have a few 1 month old chicks and a 20 week old Silkie white.Anyone form North Tampa out there . Near Temple Terrace
wee.gif
I am in Seffner...not too far from you! I actually spent part of my childhood in Temple Terrace and Thonotosassa. Welcome! Hope to chat with you soon!

You do not how sparse the population would be if I had my way with everyone who felt like that with animals!
I would have to be the worlds largest cerial killer!
I have dealt with animals of all kinds since I was 12 when i voulanteered at the zoo and worked at the local pet shop, I am now trying to instill respect for all life in my 6 grandkids!!
I almost got ran over saving a snake a while back, Some woman was livid I prevented her from backing up and running it over! I explained that they are an important part of the eco system and that indigo snakes are quite bennificial and efficiant preditors of moccasins and rattlers!

I do have a problem with feral animals and am about to trap and send to the shelter a few feral cats that have been stalking my chicken pens and decimating my rabbit and native bird population,
In reality it is not even the cats fault but the fault of irrisponsible pet owners!!

Sorry your vent got me venting too since I am about out of patience with the cats after a woke at 3AM to one trying to get in my grandkids rabbit pen this morning.

Back
Top Bottom