FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

I personally would not use permethrin around my birds, but that is just my preference. Just because something is labeled as "safe" does not mean it is. Look at all of the dogs who have had holes burned in their skin from topical flea treatments that are supposed to be "safe". It is all a matter of personal preference. If someone has used something for years with no problems great for them, but anyone trying a new product, chemical, etc should be fully informed and do their research before exposing their animals to it. It is all a matter of choice and there's nothing wrong with considering pros and cons and hearing different opinions of a certain remedy. Not everyone chooses to do things the same exact way esp when it comes to poultry.

1958, lets get two things straight. I Never addressed you in either of my two posts I have made in the last 24 hours. I read the thread from email, click see post to the posters question and answer them NOT reading your responses. SOOOO with that said stop being so defensive, its definitely not all about you when I post, but rather a direct answer of MY thoughts on their question.

Guinea fowl will roam if given the chance, was told this by 10 different breeders. So was relaying what had been told to me, and how we handle it here on our property.

Permethryn might be labeled safe to use on poultry, however I error on the side of caution when it comes to waterfowl (specifically geese) who eat the grass that it could possibly be sprayed on. Geese are a grazing animal unlike chickens who forage, Was just giving a word of caution to someone I know who has geese.

AGAIN, never mentioned you, your post, or what you said as being wrong. That joy of BYC is to have many people sharing knowledge and ideas and thoughts. Please refrain from becoming defensive when you werent named or addressed directly as being wrong.

On to a new subject. Anyone who is NPIP who brings in new birds or hatching eggs from anyone who is not NPIP can know that they are now no longer NPIP either because of untested stock being brought onto the property. Just an FYI for those who might be thinking about being tested, to know for after having been through it.

1958, lets get two things straight. I Never addressed you in either of my two posts I have made in the last 24 hours. I read the thread from email, click see post to the posters question and answer them NOT reading your responses. SOOOO with that said stop being so defensive, its definitely not all about you when I post, but rather a direct answer of MY thoughts on their question.

Guinea fowl will roam if given the chance, was told this by 10 different breeders. So was relaying what had been told to me, and how we handle it here on our property.

Permethryn might be labeled safe to use on poultry, however I error on the side of caution when it comes to waterfowl (specifically geese) who eat the grass that it could possibly be sprayed on. Geese are a grazing animal unlike chickens who forage, Was just giving a word of caution to someone I know who has geese.

AGAIN, never mentioned you, your post, or what you said as being wrong. That joy of BYC is to have many people sharing knowledge and ideas and thoughts. Please refrain from becoming defensive when you werent named or addressed directly as being wrong.

On to a new subject. Anyone who is NPIP who brings in new birds or hatching eggs from anyone who is not NPIP can know that they are now no longer NPIP either because of untested stock being brought onto the property. Just an FYI for those who might be thinking about being tested, to know for after having been through it.
Ok with you saying that! Why not do your research before you say anything as I do.Before I give advise I do my research. Let me ask you something? If someone was to come to your house to buy poultry are they allowed to see how they are housed or kept? If not then why? To Me, That is just telling the customer that you are either hiding something or are refusing them a chance to see what they are buying till they get their bird in hand. I let anyone who would like to buy any of my poultry and they ask if they can see the birds housing, I let them that just proves to the people that you are not hiding anything from anyone.So as your saying with NPIP about buying new birds from non- NPIP certified people is true. If you do buy from anyone that is not NPIP certified you will loose your right to be NPIP certified. And you have to have all paper work handy when they return to check your stock.If not they will drop you from being NPIP. .And about the pernethrin, if you know nothing about the product do your reseach before saying anything as I do. I research if I'm thinking of using it.Thats why I give advise on things If I can't give advise then I don't say anything till I do research on it.That is why I gave the advise on the product is cause I have done my research and I use the product.

Last edited:
NO ONE ever enters my property inside the fences. It doesnt limit our ability to show available birds, or how we house them. Bio Security is a real threat and with 1000"s invested in birds I wont risk something being carried in on shoes of a customer ever. My birds health is worth more than that. We move holding pens and cages out where customers can see them with out ever entering our fenced in areas. Allowing people to freely walk where my birds free range and or are housed put them at risk of catching something. It is highly advised to practice good bio security, allowing anyone and everyone inside the fences is not good bio security. with that said, we are lucky that we can stand outside the gates and see all of the rear (minus one area along the south of the house, but no houses are there) this allows us to chat with customers discussing the ducks, geese ect without jeopardizing their health. If you read up on the USDA NPIP and bio security recommendations you would understand this.

I research everything and do so for hours on end actually. My posts are based on first hand experience, knowledge shared by others and research both online and in talking with university and avian vets. Implying I dont research is acting childish on your part, and saying my statements are false. Doing exactly what you accused me of doing to you. (which I didnt but its OK if you want to be that way) Letting people know there are dedicated threads on BYC to a specific bird is just good form so they can go chat with those who breed that particular variety.

We too have permethrin, but chose to not use it where the geese can graze because personally I dont want to risk a 300-500$ goose if there is een a slight chance it could harm them. Which is why I mentioned reading the usage label before spraying where GEESE could graze. Never said it wasnt effective or couldnt be used, but to double/triple check where the geese could be eating. Too many recent posts in the goose area discussing poisonings.

UC Davis - leading university on poultry - bio security write up - http://animalscience.ucdavis.edu/avian/pfs26.htm

APHIS/USDA Bio Security write up - http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/birdbiosecurity/biosecurity/

Last edited:
NO ONE ever enters my property inside the fences. It doesnt limit our ability to show available birds, or how we house them. Bio Security is a real threat and with 1000"s invested in birds I wont risk something being carried in on shoes of a customer ever. My birds health is worth more than that. We move holding pens and cages out where customers can see them with out ever entering our fenced in areas. Allowing people to freely walk where my birds free range and or are housed put them at risk of catching something. It is highly advised to practice good bio security, allowing anyone and everyone inside the fences is not good bio security. with that said, we are lucky that we can stand outside the gates and see all of the rear (minus one area along the south of the house, but no houses are there) this allows us to chat with customers discussing the ducks, geese ect without jeopardizing their health. If you read up on the USDA NPIP and bio security recommendations you would understand this.

I research everything and do so for hours on end actually. My posts are based on first hand experience, knowledge shared by others and research both online and in talking with university and avian vets. Implying I dont research is acting childish on your part, and saying my statements are false. Doing exactly what you accused me of doing to you. (which I didnt but its OK if you want to be that way) Letting people know there are dedicated threads on BYC to a specific bird is just good form so they can go chat with those who breed that particular variety.

We too have permethrin, but chose to not use it where the geese can graze because personally I dont want to risk a 300-500$ goose if there is een a slight chance it could harm them. Which is why I mentioned reading the usage label before spraying where GEESE could graze. Never said it wasnt effective or couldnt be used, but to double/triple check where the geese could be eating. Too many recent posts in the goose area discussing poisonings.

UC Davis - leading university on poultry - bio security write up - http://animalscience.ucdavis.edu/avian/pfs26.htm

APHIS/USDA Bio Security write up - http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/birdbiosecurity/biosecurity/
Just saying you don't let people beyond your fence, right? But you can't keep the wild out so with that said. You are not really being biohazardous. Your able to stop people that may carry a desease But you can't keep wild animals out like racoons Possums and like so out & they carry deases alot more than people can carry. JMO

Just saying you don't let people beyond your fence, right? But you can't keep the wild out so with that said. You are not really being biohazardous. Your able to stop people that may carry a desease But you can't keep wild animals out like racoons Possums and like so out & they carry deases alot more than people can carry. JMO

Actually the diseases that raccoons and possums carry on their fur (that can contaminate poultry or humans) are not active for more then about three hours*...same really on clothes for several of the really nasty diseases, the difference is the coon isn't going to go from a diseased yard and become contaminated into your yard with in three hours as he/she has just already eaten. They are not the type of animals that 'scat' inside human territory that is heavily used.

The larger issue would be rodents that shed the diseases that are similar to/or the same as diseases that affect poultry that can be active within the feces for about three days.

Why humans are a huge vector is because a human travels from one contaminated area to another area w/o contamination very quickly (car). The feces from contaminated birds carry the disease and it can live in/on shoes for the same three hours- but the travel time for a human, and the chance of being contaminated when having multiple birds is much higher.

that is a raccoon may once or twice in its life encounter a bird that is contaminated with something that transmits to poultry if in the 'wild' a human habituated raccoon that has sick birds in its territory will have a higher incidence of contamination- just like a human with a sick bird but a raccoon has a limited travel range. A human with one contaminated bird has a much higher chance of carrying something from their bird to another bird within the time that the viruses and bacterias are still viable outside a host.

(*(estimate based on rodent research based on human, poultry, cattle, and rodent vectors introduced to human clothing being able to present disease (in rodents) or grow a viable isolated culture on agar medium))

Last edited:
Since we have 3 Great Pyrenees (2 adult, 1 pup) inside our fence line is little to no wild mammal traffic ever. we have foot prints outside the fence line, and you can see where they stop at the fence, then turn away. Nice to have dogs who serve a purpose and protect everything we have from two and four legged predators. Squirrels are everywhere, but our son shoots them on sight. The mini doxie patrols under the barns and buildings keeping any rodents away, he is relentless.

Are Guineas hard to keep contained? Like if I let them free range on 5 acres would I realistically have to worry about them going over to the neighbors? Do they stick around for the most part?
We started with 10 guinea keets and we literally had to train them before we could let them free range. They need to learn where home is first. It wan't that hard to do and they would make a circuit of our 10 acres and then when I called them in at night they would come flying from everywhere. Can't say they will stay away from your neighbors. Although mine stayed on our land, the neighbors loved them because of the bug eating factor. I had one of my neighbors call me last year and ask if we still had them. I told her no and she said she knew it because the ticks were horrible on her dogs. They are a very noisy bird and will sound the alarm when someone or something comes into their territory.

We started with 10 guinea keets and we literally had to train them before we could let them free range. They need to learn where home is first. It wan't that hard to do and they would make a circuit of our 10 acres and then when I called them in at night they would come flying from everywhere. Can't say they will stay away from your neighbors. Although mine stayed on our land, the neighbors loved them because of the bug eating factor. I had one of my neighbors call me last year and ask if we still had them. I told her no and she said she knew it because the ticks were horrible on her dogs. They are a very noisy bird and will sound the alarm when someone or something comes into their territory.
Lol, as long as they are only loud when strangers come in, I am ok with that. If they are loud all the time, not so much
roll.png
I would love them for bug control though, but since I am thinking about moving farther north within the next 12 months I will probably wait...

I have the 4 legged animal around that will stand up to coons & so on. When I had caught this pig she was a real small but still very dangerous if she had a chance to bite. But now I've had her for about 6 months and she weighs about 150lbs & very stocky & very fast on 4 legs.I have seen her a few months ago go after a coon & won the fight.Cause a pigs skin of so tough.She can sniff out anything & her hearing is excellent.I could tell a story about her hearing. But she sure protects this place.Someone came over today to buy some chickens and here comes my pig out of the woods & this guy was good size guy but I couldn't believe what I seen when she came out of the woods and came running over to me.That guy weighed atleast 275lbs. & I never seen anyone run so fast in my life & jump while running.So after it was all over I had explained to him that she is my pet & she protects my property & does a very good job of it too.But he ended up buying 3 chickens & petting the pig before he left & now he said he wants to bring his kids & wife over.

Back
Top Bottom