Florida humidity & moldy feed...?

RosemaryDuck

Crowing
Dec 15, 2020
Florida
Hey all! Currently battling an issue and wanted to ask for some advice. I have a large metal bin I put my duck pellets (and supplements/treats) in.

I went to get the ducks food earlier this morning and had to dump the feed and get a new bag as it was moldy. It's been extremely humid here. Are there any ways to keep the feed from going bad? Should I just leave it in the bag and place the whole thing in the tin?

Does the metal bin have a tight fitting lid on it? You might also check around the inside where the handle or handles are at. If it look's to have any bit of gap that can let in moisture or rain, then plug it with some silicone caulking, and even it out making sure it get's into that gap right. Then let it cure to dry for as long as the instruction's tell you to.

Does the metal bin have a tight fitting lid on it? You might also check around the inside where the handle or handles are at. If it look's to have any bit of gap that can let in moisture or rain, then plug it with some silicone caulking, and even it out making sure it get's into that gap right. Then let it cure to dry for as long as the instruction's tell you to.
Yeah it has a really tight lid. I even wack it down a bit when I close it to keep it snug 😅. The silicone is a good idea! Thanks 😊.

Hey all! Currently battling an issue and wanted to ask for some advice. I have a large metal bin I put my duck pellets (and supplements/treats) in.

I went to get the ducks food earlier this morning and had to dump the feed and get a new bag as it was moldy. It's been extremely humid here. Are there any ways to keep the feed from going bad? Should I just leave it in the bag and place the whole thing in the tin?
Metal bins or garbage cans can condensate inside of them. But they are best to keep rodents out. If you can line or put plastic can or tub inside metal is best or at least keep feed in water proof bags that most feed comes in should do the trick.

Should I just leave it in the bag and place the whole thing in the tin?
Yes, but put an empty feed bag folded in half on the bottom.
First seal the handle.
I will tell you though that feed may still get moldy in humid or damp conditions.
I kept my feed in a metal can in the storage area inside my coop and it still got damp when temps dropped overnight.

I have kept feed bags in my house in a spare room for 4 years now.
20210701_160452_resized.jpg

I only keep a small amount of feed in my coops.
A large coffee can in each coop to top up the feeder as needed.
20200612_195245_resized.jpg

I also keep Scratch Grains in a large coffee can and Oyster Shells and Poultry Grit each in a small coffee can inside coops.
I only have 12 chickens so this works for me. GC

I use this
feed.jpeg

It has an o-ring around the seal. It is stored in another box to keep rodents from chewing through it. Really I guess I have been lucky about no mold from humidity. I mean once I open it, the humidity gets in there.

Back
Top Bottom