Florida open air coop?

Wainbowmudd

Songster
Jul 19, 2020
Florida
So I got an idea from a fellow Floridian that Florida chickens are happier not cooped up in an enclosure at night because of how hot it is most of the year. They recommended an open air pen and tarp it off during the short winter For warmth. Predator proofed with hardware cloth all the way around and the ground apron of course. Thoughts? Downsides??

this is what we will be starting with, adding to it if we need to

ED0702D1-3578-42CA-8685-7BECA2BAD71F.jpeg

Attachments

• 773FCA60-7BFB-437D-A3EB-1EB87D045B2D.jpeg
    773FCA60-7BFB-437D-A3EB-1EB87D045B2D.jpeg
    599.6 KB · Views: 102
So I got an idea from a fellow Floridian that Florida chickens are happier not cooped up in an enclosure at night because of how hot it is most of the year. They recommended an open air pen and tarp it off during the short winter For warmth. Predator proofed with hardware cloth all the way around and the ground apron of course. Thoughts? Downsides??

this is what we will be starting with, adding to it if we need to

View attachment 2253087
Excellent, perfect for hot climates.

Only caveat is they at times need a tad bit of a visual barrier around the perches, especially if lots of predators roam about their coop at night. So maybe a couple of plantation shutters hung up, just so they feel more secure... but without restricting air flow too much.

Thank you all! I’ve been thinking of something to put up to deter rain a bit and add security for them, I was thinking some lattice.

And I figure they’ll probably use the rafters but I plan to add a couple natural roost branches a little lower too.

Also, is there any downside to putting it under two trees for more shade?

A poop board is worth its weight in gold as 70% of poop happens as they sleep.
As long as the limbs are not close to the roof, the more the better as we get HOT down here.
Large birds probably don't need to be using the rafters without a latter.

What does a poop board entail?? Just a board under the roosts to catch the poo ? Newbie here if you couldn’t tell 😊

What about flooring for the pen? I was set on sand until I heard people rave about the horse pellets but would they get too wet with the openness I wonder.

Poop board: yes, a board under the roosts. Many of them have a board around the edge, so it's like a tray, and then a layer of sand. People scoop the poop up each day, similar to how you'd clean a cat's litter box.

If you prefer to spend a few minutes each day to remove as much poop as possible, it's a great invention.

If you prefer to let the poop pile up or get mixed with the bedding, then clean it all out a few times a year (to the compost pile or garden), then a poop board isn't the thing for you.

Sand: appears to work great in dry climates, but some people report it gets stinky when wet.

I have no personal experience with the horse pellets.

For flooring, you might look into "deep litter" and "deep bedding." Both involve piling plenty of stuff into the coop (or run) and not cleaning it out very often. One rots/decomposes like a compost pile, the other stays dry enough that it does not rot. Some people distinguish the two, and others mix up which name goes with which--personally, I can't keep the names straight :) Either way, the basic principal is to add sufficient dry matter to keep it from being a swampy mess, and provide sufficient ventilation. The chickens tend to keep scratching and mixing and re-arranging it, and find lots of little bugs and things to eat.

There are lots of "best" ways to manage chicken waste, so I cannot say what will work best with your climate and your own preferences :)

Poop board: yes, a board under the roosts. Many of them have a board around the edge, so it's like a tray, and then a layer of sand. People scoop the poop up each day, similar to how you'd clean a cat's litter box.

If you prefer to spend a few minutes each day to remove as much poop as possible, it's a great invention.

If you prefer to let the poop pile up or get mixed with the bedding, then clean it all out a few times a year (to the compost pile or garden), then a poop board isn't the thing for you.

Sand: appears to work great in dry climates, but some people report it gets stinky when wet.

I have no personal experience with the horse pellets.

For flooring, you might look into "deep litter" and "deep bedding." Both involve piling plenty of stuff into the coop (or run) and not cleaning it out very often. One rots/decomposes like a compost pile, the other stays dry enough that it does not rot. Some people distinguish the two, and others mix up which name goes with which--personally, I can't keep the names straight :) Either way, the basic principal is to add sufficient dry matter to keep it from being a swampy mess, and provide sufficient ventilation. The chickens tend to keep scratching and mixing and re-arranging it, and find lots of little bugs and things to eat.

There are lots of "best" ways to manage chicken waste, so I cannot say what will work best with your climate and your own preferences :)

Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom