Floridians?

I'm just outside of Gainesville on 15 beautiful acres. Had chickens for about 3 years now. Been a bit of a bumpy road. When we first moved to the 15 acres, hubby bought me 2 turkeys and 4 chicks from local feed store. One turkey died fairly young. The other turkey turned out to be a tom and was hell on wheels to everybody but me. As his breeding and purpose was to be food and I kept him as a pet, we had a hard time regulating his weight. After 2 1/2 years, we had to put him down as his legs just gave out (he wasn't really THAT fat). The four original chicks were 2 RIR's and 2 plymoth rocks. One of RIR's turned out to be a Roo. Well, the roo almost killed my RIR hen (mate to death) had to figure that one out and nurse her back to health. Coyote got one of the rocks, a year later a loose dog got the roo and the other rock. I replaced them with a RIR hen and a Ameracuana hen. They have been doing great, had to tighten security-nobody out when humans aren't home. Just got 2 new Ameracuanas Sunday! Yeah!! I'll take some pix of my new babies.

Quote:
I live in Pensacola and I guess you could call me a sort of outlaw as well. I have about 100 chickens, the older ones free ranging in my small yard and garden here in town.

Currently, I have 28 week old plymouth barred rock chicks in one brooder in my bedroom, 21 five to six week old silkies in a larger brooder in the coop, 9 older silkies (almost laying age, 8 white, one black pullet), 1 ten month old bantam black cochin hen, and about 30+ mixed breeds, brahmas, red sex links, et cetera. Oh, and I have some eggs in the incubator as well.

Also, I sell feed grade DE if anyone local needs any in smaller quantities.

I'm in Odessa, just outside of Tampa. Got 5 RIR pullets and eagerly awaiting our first egg any day!
big_smile.png

I'm in New Port Richey...about 25 mls north of Clearwater/Tampa.

On Apr 6th I woke up with no thoughts of being a chicken owner. By dinner that night, I was mama to 10 chicks!! A friend called at lunch time asking if I wanted chickens...4 abandoned baby chicks to be exact. His neighbor saw a lady dump 2 10-gal aquariums and a large bag on the side of the road by the woods. Turned out to be 2 little chicks in each filthy alge ridden aquarium, and a 50# bag of food. To save their little lives, my friend decided that they would bring them to my house (against my wishes)...KNOWING that once I saw them, I wouldn't be able to resist their chickie cuteness...and they were RIGHT!! By 6 p.m., they had 6 new siblings from Tractor Supply, in a large, clean, warm brooder box. The original abandoned chicks have grown into a pure Salmon Flavorolles rooster, and 1 buff orpington, and 2 black sex link pullets. - I now have a 5X10 coop and a 20x17 enclosed run, 11 chickens (3 roo's!)...and I'm totally smitten!
smile.png

Addicted is actually a better description...love my chickies!! I do admit wishing I could finish that first cup of coffee in the a.m. before submitting to the urge to head to the coop! Next project...another coop & run, a "bator", and MORE chickies!!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I live in Middleburg, just south of Jacksonville. I've been gardening since my early twenties, and I raised rabbits, for about 5 years, in the 80's... Just not a pleasant killing situation.
I see the coming storm, and have decided to get serious about providing as much of my own food, as possible.
I've had the best garden, ever, this spring, and also canned my first tomatoes.
I bought 6 RIR pullets and 4 Ideal 236, of which two died. Who knows why? Everyone else is doing good.
It's a start, and will probably look into a self sustaining flock, by next year.

Last edited:
frow.gif
welcome-byc.gif
frow.gif

I agree with you. Lots of BYC members are watching that 'storm' and are getting back to the basics. Glad you came aboard! Have you seen the BYC's sister site - The Easy Garden.com ? There is a link at the bottom of the page. It is a REALLY good site too.

Lisa
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom