Middle TN
2983_garden-_img_1562.jpg

smile.png

lol mine have eaten ALL our flowers in the back
tongue.png
so mom just gave up on flowers back there
hmm.png
lol.png

So far they've only destroyed the herb garden, but it wasn't very well established to begin with. Apparently the herbs are tastier than the flowers.
smile.png

We have some flower pots on our front porch with petunias spilling over the side of the porch. I looked out the window one day this summer and one of my petunias was bending down every few seconds. I walked outside and looked over the edge of the porch to find one of our girls jumping into the air and nipping at the low hanging flowers! LOL!

They also did quite a bit of damage to the tomato patch before we put a fence around most of it.

Our yard looks like the surface of the moon, at least everywhere the chickens can get to. Front is not available to them. But I cat believe you have anything growing at all.

Apparently they don't like vinca or butterfly bushes. Dunno?
idunno.gif

They've been foraging under the butterfly bushes and back in the summer when they were free ranging all day I would find them under there in the hottest part of the afternoon. But the vinca has been ignored. I have lots of grassy yard for them to attack. Maybe that's why they leave the flowers alone.

Maybe there's a connection between egg laying and flower eating. My little snots haven't laid a single egg yet. Perhaps I should be encouraging them to eat the flowers?
"Here chickie, chickie, chickie! Fresh petunias for everyone!"

Back
Top Bottom