1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

flower problem....

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chicknmania, Jun 18, 2007.

1. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    My chickens have discovered my begonias, and are eating the flowers and petals. Will it hurt them? I would guess not, cause, they've been doing it for a few days. But are there any kind of small flowers that they won't eat? We do have some types of flowering ground covers and larger flowers that they don't touch. Could I try impatiens, or will they eat those, too???!!!
    [​IMG]

2. robbobbin

robbobbin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2007
    They probably think you planted them for them to eat...lol
    My girls ate my impatience also, so they'll probably eat yours too. Their either eating my flowers or dust bathing in my flower beds and crushing my new starts...gotta love 'em-or they'd be soup!

3. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    I think they will eat anything they can reach! At least a nibble! I have found something they don't like, though == basil and mint.

4. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] my chickens make a mess of all my hard work in my flower beds. I no longer use any wood mulch,it was like it came with a sign....come and get it.......was everywhere. I just covered my strawberry patch.....so I just may get ONE strawberry for me this year........I have blue flax,morning glories,four o'clocks and hyacinth vine around the coop now.and so far,they are leaving all of thos alone.most other flowers and plants have some very distinct "hen butt" spots [​IMG]

5. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Well, it's good to know at least I'm not alone! Our chickens looked at a dusting box we made for them in the barn like "what the heck do you want us to do with that???" They much prefer our garden, for dusting, too. We thought pine chunk mulch might discourage them last year (lol); they did a good job of mulching our yard. I am thinking of trying river rock to keep them from dusting and scratching in the dirt...last year we tried garden fence...they just stood on it til they bent it down, hopped over, or just tripped on it. I guess they provide their own form of yard decoration...our guests are always fascinated with them, and they ARE colorful! sighhhh....

6. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Mine don't get in my flower garden (Daylilies, Iris, tall phlox, roses, astilbe, wild ferns, lily of the valley and ground phlox) but they love to dig in my husbands tomatoes. Last year he didn't get one tomato!!

7. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    The minute I lay mulch down anywhere, over they come to dig and fling the mulch far and wide. Naughty!

8. Alleyoops25

Alleyoops25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    Mine stay away from roses, Irises, tulips, Lilies, and marigolds.

9. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by