Flowering Vines in Run?

maysorum

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 5, 2011
I would love to have wisteria and clematis but they are reportedly toxic to chickens, correct? So I'm looking at chocolate, trumpet, honeysuckle, and kiwi vines that appear to be somewhat chicken safe. Does anyone have any experience keeping chickens in close proximity to any of these vines? I know that Honeysuckle may be toxic but it seems there are many accounts of chickens living with it. Have any experiences to share? Or successes with the aforementioned vines? Or any suggestions?

Thanks!

I have a chocolate vine, chinese wisteria, sky vine and cross vines growing over my pens. Regular wisteria and several clematis vines are where the chickens range. Haven't had any problems.
61761_three.jpg

I planted some Jamaican Cabbage in my run, so for everyone is cool wit it.

Quote:
Have you seen them pecking at the wisteria or clematis? Do flowers fall into your run?

I know they eat the leaves that fall from the chocolate vine but I don't know about the flowers from all the vines. I figure they know what to eat and what not to. I have had them almost a year there with the flowers and haven't had an issue. They have eaten some plants and others they totally ignore. The plants that were well established like my angel trumpets survive them really well and provide a nice cooling area for dust bathing as they will get 12 feet taller or better. Gardenias do well with them. Some of the more fragile plants like the clematis and gerberas I put bricks around them to keep them from scratching them up but they don't eat them. Creeping Jenny, however, cannot grown inside the picket fence with them. They even eat the roots. This next week I am going to try planting some covered in hardware cloth to see if it can survive...but I am thinking they won't let it get past the wire. It's like chicken crack for them.

I grow grape vines over my duck pen. The vine is planted outside the run, but grows over and through the fencing. It gives them shade in the summer and free snacks. Ducks love grape leaves.

Thanks everyone! Anyone else have experiences with chickens and the vines mentioned in the original post?

I have a grape vine planted outside my coop and my flock love it! Lots of shade (we live in Texas, so they need it). The grape vine has trailed up and through the hardware wire and made a natural arbor. Next year it should start producing grapes but for the main part, my flock doesn't eat the leaves. My neighbor has morning glory on his coop and his flock doesn't bother the leaves or the flower, they do dig around it looking for those hidden bugs and taking a dust bath in the shade.

I have a pergola and have 6 grape vines growing... I was planning to put my duck house under this (was going to have a human sitting area before we got the duckies
smile.png

I know the grapes are safe... I would go with them if at all possible... I know they don't flower and whatnot, but they do provide a ton of shade.

Back
Top Bottom