fluff color of Easter Egger chicks

brandonstokley

Songster
Oct 4, 2022
Crawfordville, Florida
I have some variation in my EE babies fluff color and was wondering if there are any indicators of what plumage color would be as adults. Hoping for some good variation within the wild type or partridge pattern.

they are a range of light, dark and mid tones but all chipmunk patterned

EEs are mixes of mixes, with no set colors. Most EEs are some form of partridge, though.
yes I assumed that since they are "chipmunk" patterned they will all be partridge.

what im wondering is: are there any indicators in the colors of the fluff such as head spots or lack of back stripes or overall tone in colors that will give me a hint to the colors of the plumage to come .

I can assume the dark ones will be darker and vice versa for the light ones....but I don't know if I can even assume that.

how indicative is fluff to plumage? and if so what fluff color equals what mature plumage color?

yes I assumed that since they are "chipmunk" patterned they will all be partridge.

what im wondering is: are there any indicators in the colors of the fluff such as head spots or lack of back stripes or overall tone in colors that will give me a hint to the colors of the plumage to come .

I can assume the dark ones will be darker and vice versa for the light ones....but I don't know if I can even assume that.

how indicative is fluff to plumage? and if so what fluff color equals what mature plumage color?
Fluff to plumage generally stays close in color but sometimes you get surprises.

Yes light colored chicks should be lighter colored adults - but they'll always surprise you. My guess is the light ones will come out golden or light brown with some black/darker areas, whereas the darker ones will have more dark shading overall.

I have some variation in my EE babies fluff color and was wondering if there are any indicators of what plumage color would be as adults. Hoping for some good variation within the wild type or partridge pattern.

they are a range of light, dark and mid tones but all chipmunk patterned
Down color can give an indication of what colors the feathers will be but that's just an indication of what might happen. I've seen red down produce black feathers. I believe there were melanizers in the genetic mix, I don't think that will happen with yours. If you look at a Black Australorp chick you'll see a lot of yellow down but they feather out solid black. While the down is a reasonable indication in many cases there are plenty of exceptions.

With your variations in down shade of red I'd expect you to see them feather out similar in pattern but with various shades of red, some darker and some lighter but you can have surprises.

Do you happen to know any differences in the color of the mother versus the father? That might give you a bit of a clue.

Down color can give an indication of what colors the feathers will be but that's just an indication of what might happen. I've seen red down produce black feathers. I believe there were melanizers in the genetic mix, I don't think that will happen with yours. If you look at a Black Australorp chick you'll see a lot of yellow down but they feather out solid black. While the down is a reasonable indication in many cases there are plenty of exceptions.

With your variations in down shade of red I'd expect you to see them feather out similar in pattern but with various shades of red, some darker and some lighter but you can have surprises.

Do you happen to know any differences in the color of the mother versus the father? That might give you a bit of a clue.
thank you.

I have no idea of parents. these are from hoovers hatchery. the same as the woman's birds in the video I posted.

so im expecting the same sort of variation.

I got 3 they all looked like your video. I took lots of pics and video and there wasn't any correlation really between chick fluff color to adult coloring. They came out in 3 subtle shade differences. One went darker the other 2 lighter red with Grey under feathers.
20220727_195159.jpg

Attachments

• 20221017_130038.jpg
    20221017_130038.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom