Fluffed up hen?!?!

Chickenman MAN

Songster
Oct 25, 2020
United Kingdom South Devon
Help! I have one hen who has really fluffed up feathers.... it looks like when a chicken shakes her feathers... but like that all the time. It isn't anywhere near as pronounced as when they shake their feathers but they aren't laying close to her body mostly like they are meant to... is this a health issue?

Help! I have one hen who has really fluffed up feathers.... it looks like when a chicken shakes her feathers... but like that all the time. It isn't anywhere near as pronounced as when they shake their feathers but they aren't laying close to her body mostly like they are meant to... is this a health issue?
Photos?
Does she exhibit any symptoms - off feed, lethargic, not laying eggs...?

Mine has a similar prolem. She is a 7 month Golden who started brooding inside of a "roll out" type of nest box. Started staying in the box 2 days ago. If we touched her, she'd fluff up her feathers and growl at us. Took her out this afternoon and seems upset she can't go back. Seems healthy but didn't want to go out in the run w the other 14 hens. Is she just mad at us?

Mine has a similar prolem. She is a 7 month Golden who started brooding inside of a "roll out" type of nest box. Started staying in the box 2 days ago. If we touched her, she'd fluff up her feathers and growl at us. Took her out this afternoon and seems upset she can't go back. Seems healthy but didn't want to go out in the run w the other 14 hens. Is she just mad at us?
Welcome to BYC!

She's just broody. If you don't plan on using her to hatch with, you need to break her.

Welcome to BYC!

She's just broody. If you don't plan on using her to hatch with, you need to break her.
After reading some other strings on broody hens, it looks like that's the case. Will need to read up on that...I guess bring out a dog cage during the day til the other hens finish with the nest box or maybe better yet...just close up the whole nest box unit til she gets over her broodiness. Thx!

After reading some other strings on broody hens, it looks like that's the case. Will need to read up on that...I guess bring out a dog cage during the day til the other hens finish with the nest box or maybe better yet...just close up the whole nest box unit til she gets over her broodiness. Thx!
Best to put them in a bare wire dog crate that's raised up 12+inches and leave them in there for a few days with only food and water. Read over the article I posted. Some good breaking tips in there.

Back
Top Bottom