fluffy

rigagirl

Songster
11 Years
Dec 28, 2008
churchville ny
I have RIR. They will be 2yrs old soon and i have never had a sick one. A few days ago i noticed one looked kinda funny and when i threw in treats she just got out of the way.
In morning i went out and she did look funny, she is keeping her feathers fluffy and kinda like she is keeping her neck tucked in. I thought we should cull her not knowing what would happen to rest. Hubby said we should wait a fews days thinking it would pass, well it hasn't. She is outside but keeping away from rest of girls and she is still fluffed and has a poopy butt, it looks to be yellow, but not too runny. Any thoughts or suggestions? She feels fine as in not egg bound, her crop feels or smells ok.

if you mix DE into their food it is good as an internal parasite help. but it is not effective on all parasites/worms or as quickly as some of the more expensive stuff that you have to throw eggs away while giving it to the bird. DE is more of a maintenance preventative.

you may have an internal layer of shell less eggs. do you know when the last time you saw her lay an egg?

i would still separate her to keep a closer eye on her. have you checked her poop for worms or in any eggs she has laid? there should be signs in either of those. also giving her some water mixed with apple cider vinegar (ACV) and vitamins could help. i've had a similar condition in one of my hens and i found that switching food to something smaller than pellets or crumbles was better (used chick started since it was on hand) along with giving her yogurt and apple sauce, and mixing an antibiotic to the water as an added precaution.

Back
Top Bottom