Fluid filled chick?

LeoTheUnicorn

Chirping
Aug 20, 2020
Okay, so I have a chick from my previous brood and it looks like he might have gotten bit by something, like a cat or something. When I found him, he was still talking and came right up to me, but didn't want to put any weight on his right leg. There is a small wound by his right leg, so I believe that is the cause of the limp, also the possible entry for an infection. But what is strange is that the whole chick feels like a delicate water balloon, about double in size with fluid. I gave him some antibiotics in water last night and he survived to this morning, still talking and pooping normally.

Is the fluid swelling from inflammation? Is there anything else I should do for him? He's in the coop with the other chicks, so he's staying warm and they don't pick on him. I'll upload pictures if I can. Thank you in advance.

Do you have any pictures of the chick? How old is it? There might be a problem with a leaking air sac that has caused the swelling, especially if it feels like air under the skin. A sting or snakebite might also cause swelling. Is a vet possible?

This is the chick, sorry for the bad lighting. Because of its black feathers, it doesn't show up very well.

He is about a month old. We don't have a good vet close to us and it might be a couple days before we took take him.

Attachments

• 20200917_114120.jpg
    20200917_114120.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 20200917_114135.jpg
    20200917_114135.jpg
    311.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Update: He's still alive and seems to have shrunk a little. I've been giving him antibiotics in water and he seems more lively. He still covers himself with his wings around other chicks, but I think that's cause he doesn't want them pecking at his wound.

So far, really hopeful he'll pull through. :)

Panic Update:

Okay, I don't know what to do. He was fine about 10 last night, cuddled with his siblings, but now his contorting himself ( flailing his head behind his wings, curling his head into his chest), which is an obvious sign of near death. I spent about twenty minutes getting him warmed up. I thought he passed, but he will go through spells of panicked chirping and contorting, then go back to sleep for a minute. Is this a air sac issue ( he still feels like a delicate balloon) or is there something else?

If anyone has any idea, please let me know, Thank you!

Panic Update:

Okay, I don't know what to do. He was fine about 10 last night, cuddled with his siblings, but now his contorting himself ( flailing his head behind his wings, curling his head into his chest), which is an obvious sign of near death. I spent about twenty minutes getting him warmed up. I thought he passed, but he will go through spells of panicked chirping and contorting, then go back to sleep for a minute. Is this a air sac issue ( he still feels like a delicate balloon) or is there something else?

If anyone has any idea, please let me know, Thank you!
Oh no! There might not be anything to do.
@Eggcessive
@Wyorp Rock

When I think of fluid sometimes I think about a potential heart issue? Not sure if that makes any sense because the swollen leg also makes me think that. I know it isn’t the same, but dogs with heart failure sometimes swell badly. :( I hope it’s not. Poor little dear

Is there any way to know if it's fluid or air? His skin is easily moved around and sometimes I'll hear like a tiny popping sound, like a crackling. I wasn't sure if that was from his throat or his actually body.

Would heart failure show up only once he's a month old?

He has ruptured air sacs. I think to relieve the pressure you'll have to poke the swollen area under the skin with a needle.

The crackling sound does make it seem it's likely a ruptured air sac. Sterilize a sewing needle, swab an area of the skin that has air under it with antiseptic. Prick that area with the needle, just going through the skin, sometimes you can pinch the skin up and go through it that way, doesn't matter if you make two tiny holes rather than one. Then the air can be released. You can also use a small injection needle if you have one, since it's hollow, to release the air, again just prick through the skin only. Once it's done dab a bit of plain neosporin or plain triple antibiotic ointment where you pricked the skin. Sometimes you have to repeat the procedure if it fills with air again. Once the pressure is off the tear in the air sac, it has a chance to heal.

Back
Top Bottom