1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Flukers ON TOP of the eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by equus2, Mar 30, 2008.

1. equus2

equus2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Day 12. The havobator is full....just one egg cup empty. Not enough to place the flukers in. SO, its' sitting on TOP of the eggs. I'm getting a strange fluxuation in temps, about 3-4 degrees. 1) I've never had the bator this full and 2) The thermometer has never come in contact with the eggs. Does it's placement distort the temp? Or, is it more difficult to stabilize, as the embryos develop?[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Some of the recently manufactured Flukers have been very odd-they do just what you describe, fluctuate wildly up and down with the slightest change in airflow. Is yours a digital one? Have you used it before? I had to take mine back and exchange it for another one that is much more stable.

3. equus2

equus2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Rats. Yes, it's a digital one. Can't take back. I have an accurite that I can place in there, just so little room, it would be on contact with the eggs.....is that a problem?

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Shouldn't be a problem to contact the eggs unless it gets squished between the rows and cracks some. If it "floats" on top, it should be fine. Yeah, the Flukers can be flukey for sure.

5. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Keep in mind that the temperature will be warmer the higher you to in the incubator. If you turner makes much of a swing it may be the placement of the thermometer and I would expect the reading to change with the change in location location. I think I would sacrifice one egg to place it correctly rather than wonder if things are haywire. I don't have the Hova Bator type incubator and I always lay the Fluckers right along side the eggs which are laying on the side so I am not absolutely certain how much the rack moves in one of those units.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by