Fly control

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by kidd42, Jul 4, 2011.

1. kidd42

kidd42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Valley Springs, Ca.
    We have had some high temps recently, 100+ temps. I've noticed that we have had tons of fly's in and around the coop. I bought a bale of 3 way (oats, wheat and grasses) on the way home last night. Went out at 6:00 am this morning to beat the heat to clean out the coop's. At first I thought my girls had a very bad case of worms, but upon closer inspection the poop in the coop was infested with maggots. I cleaned the coops and put down the fresh hay, then drove into town to the auto parts store and bought 6 of those pine tree air fresheners in Vanilla. I had read here awhile back that the vanilla ones would repel fly's. Well when I hung them this morning the coop was full of fly's, by early this afternoon and just now, not a fly is in sight, and my coop smells like vanilla. It works!

2. LilliansMamaw

LilliansMamaw Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    Quote:I had heard of using the air fresheners before.
    Do you think the flies are gone because of the air fresheners or because the coop has fresh bedding? I'm having a fly problem also.[​IMG] I've been dusting the coop with DE.

3. kidd42

kidd42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Valley Springs, Ca.
    Well, there were a bunch of fly's in there when I got back from town and the coop was clean then. So I don't know? At least I have a fresh smelling coop for right now!

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I dust with DE also and that seems to control my fly problems.

5. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like one of the attractants is the wet hay. Mught consider switching to sand and moving your fount outside the coop to reduce the moisture and dry out the coop

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Yep, fly eggs need moisture to hatch; dry it out and that all by itself will reduce the fly problem.

7. rungirl

rungirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Keep things dry and there will be fewer flies. I only get flies after a heavy rain and they're gone once it dries out again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by