Fly problem!!

djbader

Hatching
5 Years
May 27, 2014
Hello,
Can someone give me advise on the FLIES. They are about to drive me crazy, they are everywhere. I did not have them this bad wiht my first hens. I just added to my flock, I have a separate area for the new hens. I have an open 10x20 kennel with tin roof along with sand floor. I built a small hen house for them to stay in. The Flies are everywhere and all around their feed. Does anyone have any ideas?

Also should I close in the kennel so when it rains the area is dryer??

Hello,
Can someone give me advise on the FLIES. They are about to drive me crazy, they are everywhere. I did not have them this bad wiht my first hens. I just added to my flock, I have a separate area for the new hens. I have an open 10x20 kennel with tin roof along with sand floor. I built a small hen house for them to stay in. The Flies are everywhere and all around their feed. Does anyone have any ideas?

How many birds are in your flock? Have you had a lot of rain lately? What is your maintenance routine for the coop and run? You have to identify the causes of the fly problem before you can rid yourself of the flies.

Last edited:
Hello,

Hello :)
I recently was having issues with flies & maggots (which totally grossed me out!!) I changed things up a little bit, I switched from pine shavings in the coop to sand, Now instead of a 2week change in the coop, I just scoop out the droppings everyday with a large cat litter scooper (takes minutes to do!) & I hung sticky fly strips on the OUTSIDE of the coop & run area, also make sure to rake the run area every so often to get the droppings from there as well.

Hi,

I have 4 new girls, We have had a lot of rain the last few days, the sand is all wet. I clean it everyday. The flies are really bad around their feed it is dry.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom