Fly Strike is the Worst!

My Poor Lightning was hit by Fly Strike AGAIN! This poor hen. I'm pretty sure I caught this one early - the fly was still in the wound and there were only a hundred or so maggots. I didn't have epson salts - where did the go?! But I did have Permethrin spray so I hit the maggots with that, got them all out in a warm bath and then hit her up again with the spray afterwards.

My Question is - do I hit her wound with blu-kote to help stave off an infection? Anyone care to weigh in?
Do you have photos of the wound?
Triple antibiotic ointment or Vetericyn, imho, would be better than Blu Kote for the simple fact it's easier to monitor the wound. Blu Kote does have it's place in the chicken first aid kit, I keep it on hand for minor injuries that I want to cover up.

You may want to evaluate your girl very well. Something is causing the flies to be attracted to her and lay eggs - does she normally have a poopy bottom, does she get picked on and has some wounds, does she have any issues with laying eggs, etc.

You can use Vetericyn, plain neosporin ointment, even a pyrethrin based product called SWAT from the feed store. Sorry she has it again. Anytime there is poop on the vent area, a lot of flies around the coop, or an injury, maggot infestation is possible. I would reread the link from The Chicken Chick in post #2.

Edited to say that Wyorp has you covered.

You may want to evaluate your girl very well. Something is causing the flies to be attracted to her and lay eggs
She struggled with an egg. She is an older hen - over 6 years old and this past year she's had two eggs that were shell-less and broken coming out, at which time she struggled and bled. It was the blood that attracted the flies.
She is our "therapy" chicken - she stays with a stroke victim across the street most days and doesn't live with our other girls in the coop. She doesn't have access to alot of sand or dirt to bathe in. I'm wondering if that's part of the problem. None of my girls have had fly strike, though I'm out of my mind with worry that its imminent with the dry heat.

I'm sorry it's happened again! Yes, fly strike is nasty--I've just nursed my five-year-old barred rock Cleo through it. Maybe put the spray in her coop and roost as well to keep the flies down. Vetrycin (sp?) seems to have helped Cleo, but now that she's back out with the flock, I put blu-kote on her to avoid pecking. It seems to keep things drier, as well. I took a look at the area last night and it seems to be healing. No maggots, thank god.

I hope she recovers this time, too!

PS I've never heard of a therapy chicken--interesting! Getting her a bin of sand/dirt to dust bathe in once she's healed would be helpful for any number of things.

She struggled with an egg. She is an older hen - over 6 years old and this past year she's had two eggs that were shell-less and broken coming out, at which time she struggled and bled. It was the blood that attracted the flies.
She is our "therapy" chicken - she stays with a stroke victim across the street most days and doesn't live with our other girls in the coop. She doesn't have access to alot of sand or dirt to bathe in. I'm wondering if that's part of the problem. None of my girls have had fly strike, though I'm out of my mind with worry that its imminent with the dry heat.
She sounds like a lovely hen:hugs

I agree with @deepbluesea she may like a tub of dirt to take dust baths once she is healed. I can see where if she is a therapy chicken that could be a potential problem unless you give her a bath for visits (chickens can be dusty).

I think you have the cause right, if she had egg matter and blood on the rear, that would attract the flies for sure. I hope she gets better soon, please keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom