Fly trap worked great last year- now we have a wierd problem!

nursemeh

Songster
11 Years
Apr 16, 2009
Conroe, Texas
I am posting this in the predator/pest area- cause I thought the fly trap idea would be useful to some ppl with the summer coming on. Plus I couldn't think of anywhere that this topic would fit into better. I think I probably got the idea of of BYC last year.

I've used DE in the coop from the beginning, but still last summer we had a terrible fly problem around the coop and so I hung up a few empty jugs with fly bait/poison(Golden Malren). It worked really well. I don't usually use poisons or pesticides but there is a horse in a pasture right behind our yard and the flies around the chicken coop were becoming a real problem in the heat of the summer.

Well, over the winter I forgot all about the fly traps. Recently, my daughter and I noticed that one of the jugs was full of pine straw. A few days later I looked in and noticed that it looked like a bird was making a nest in there. Sure enough, now there are eggs.

Here are some pictures, just to share. Sorry I don't have a more expensive camera, but if you look real close you cans see the eggs way down in the bottom of the nest. Whenever I go in to clean or set out food/water the mommy bird flies out all crazy. I can't tell what kind of bird it is, I am thinking it is an ordinary house sparrow. We are wondering, is the old fly poison going to have any effect on the birds? Also, these chicks, when they venture out of the nest as fledglings are sure to run into a chicken nearby and be pecked to death. Should I try to move this jug to a place of(relatively)more safety? Or just leave it be?

28316_img_5884.jpg

28316_img_5886.jpg

28316_img_5887.jpg

Chances are pretty good it's a house sparrow. Keep your eyes out and if it is you can legally destroy the nest and get rid of the pesky little birds.

Use google images to help identify the female bird, nest, and eggs.

Last edited:
Actually I would guess this is a Carolina wrens nest. Or a house wren.

Wrens are also pretty good fly traps.

edit: I just realized that you are in texas so your species of wrens may vary from ours.

Last edited:
Probably a wren's nest.

Every year I never know where I'm going to find those nests. One year she built one in my toolbelt hanging in my workshop. Had to carry my nails in a yogurt cup until she was finished.

Another year she built one in an open bag of oyster shell. Reached in to get some and she flew out in my face. Startled me so much I fell backwards knocking over a workbench.

Still another year we had one in our clothes pin jug. It was a bleach jug just like the one you show with a hole to reach through and a bit of wire to hang on the line when it's in use. Had to go buy more clothes pins until she was through with ours.

Industrious little birds I'll give them that.

.....Alan.

You could move it a short distance, say five or six feet per day, so that the mother bird could still find it easily. Go for the straightest line that will get the nest out of the chickens' area. For sure they will make short work of killing and eating the baby birds.

I have the same problem of my bluebird boxes being too close to the chicken area. I just hope when the fledgelings take off for the first time, they come into the back yard instead of into the chicken yard. I already have a nesting pair, or I would move the boxes right now.

I would leave it right there. If you move it, she may ignore it.... As soon as the babies are gone, get that bottle out of there- or she'll use it again! Enjoy your own nature show!

I would guess wren too. Wrens don't seem to mind setting up nests right near where people come and go (like in the bushes right beside your doors, etc.) Last year we had a nest in the overhang covering the porch on the lower level, and my neighbor had one on her front porch roof rafters, right beside the front door! I personally love wild birds and don't mind them using an area as long as they don't attack me in the process.

I would suggest not moving it. Sometimes when you relocate (or even touch) their nest, they will abandon the eggs. I would just go about your business as usual in the coop. When the babies leave the nest, then take down the fly trap.

Good luck.

Instead of Golden Malren, which is toxic, that your chickens could eat the poisoned flies. I use a beer trap, I use the below that I hang up out of the reach of chickens. Rotting beer stinks, that attracts the fly's and when they drink it, the alcohol kills them.

trap6.jpg

Back
Top Bottom