Fly Tying Chickens

Vitesse304

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 26, 2011
Parker, CO
Hello all, I'm new to the forum, but not to chickens!

I'm interested in finding some fly tying chickens, I can't track down a breed, and I've read all the posts here about the genetic hackle, but I haven't found any info on specific breeds.

I know Whitting and a few others have their own lines and don't sell them for obvious reasons, but are there any breeders out there with long hackle/saddle/cape feathered birds for sale? I was thinking of taking some show quality birds and breeding/selecting them for the purpose of developing birds with those longer feathers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Lazy K Acres
Andrew

Andrew, the demand on these birds is really up this year and the only guy that I know that sells eggs is completly booked and has a waiting list of around 35 people. Not to mention the $55 per dozen eggs for hatching. I managed to buy 4 dozen but I got in line first thing last year after the season. I dont have any for sale being I just got a few to start a breeding program but I know there are a few other people on the forums that might have birds that you could start up with. Good luckk and I hope you are successful finding some

Thanks for the reply.

I know they've always been tough to find...no reason to sell eggs and chicks for a line of birds where you can make a return of 3 times your money in a little less than a year...

Anybody know what breed they are though? I don't mind doing the leg work to build up to some beautiful birds...

They are a mix of birds. one being the Jungle fowl. and then they were just plain and simple bred for length of feathers, number of barbels, flexability in the quill. some of the most sought after colors is the barred, dun and badger. If you can find some really nice pheonix that would give you some really nice saddles to work with then look for some variety in colors that you want. I would suggest starting with one type of color for a main goal then you can work on the colors that you want later on. Also you are going to want to figure out what you want to work on first. Hackles or saddles. I personally think that the saddles are going to be the easiest to produce first if you are looking for a fast improvement first. then you are going to want to work on quill flexability and getting it really skinny with very little webbing.
I think that the hardest thing you are going to run into is getting the webbing down and getting a shine on the birds feathers. I could be wrong but that is my experience which isnt much. I think the jungle fowl is where the hackle comes from. Idont have alot of answers but if you have a question then feel free to get in contact with me.

Last edited:
If anyone that bought these 55 dollar a dozen eggs has chicks or eggs to sell next year, I would be interested. If not I will develop my own, but having some of the work done already would be nice. I plan to work on feather quality first, then get the color right afterwards. Cal Walsh

Hello, I raise phoenix, but had a mutation emerge from them this year. The rooster is getting his saddles in and they are showing some barring. Does anyone know what gene is responsible for this or is it penciling or barring.. Thanks.
Stewart Longtails
Also working on crele phoenix using ohiki/fly tie birds.

Back
Top Bottom