1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Flying chicks question....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by schmoo, May 20, 2007.

1. schmoo

schmoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    West MI.
    Okay from all your experiences - how high and at what age can baby chicks fly?

I have some babies that will be 2 weeks old on Tuesday and they can fly "up" atleast one foot already! I found that out today when I came in and 2 of them were perched on top of the feeder!!

When I move them outside to their new area tomorrow which is 4 feet high will they be okay for a few more weeks - or will they be able to fly out?!

Basically.......... What would be the maximum height a 4 or 5 week old chick could go?

Also what age do you need to start to clip their wings if you necessary?

thanks peeps [​IMG] peeps ......... LOL

2. webdawg

webdawg Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2007
    Kingman, Az
    My chicks were two weeks old last Wednesday and I have them in a bath tub box, which is about 2 1/2 feet high. Today one of them jumped up the edge of the box. Scared the heck out of my Golden Retriever.....LOL

3. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    How high they will fly up depends on the breed. But some 6-8 week olds can do up to 6 feet. By 6 weeks you can start feather trimming if necessary.

4. schmoo

May 7, 2007
    West MI.
    THANKS!

5. therealshari

therealshari Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Beryl UT
    My Plymouth Barred Rock pullets are my best "flyers". They started reaching the 18 inch roosts at 16 days and can now go from floor to 24 inch nest box (still unfinished). A couple of my Black Austrolorps got to the roost at 21 days, about the same time as my Buff Orpington pullets.

The clumsiest have been the White Rocks... and they are the largest of the group.

The Golden Laced and Silver Laced Wyandottes are nearly as curious. I've seen a couple of them get to the roost this last week and today all are 28 days old.

I'll be adding pics to my blog within the next couple of hours.

6. schmoo

May 7, 2007
    West MI.
    Thanks Shari! I'll check it out! [​IMG]

7. BigMama

BigMama Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2007
    Shari, I checked out your blog and I love the idea of using a pie tin to cover the large feeder. That will be my next purchase! I've been using a cardboard box for mine and it hasn't been working to well. Thanks for the idea.
    Melanie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by