Flying with eggs internationally. X-rays

MamaAyam

Chirping
Feb 19, 2020
Ok I’m living in Southeast Asia but I’m a country girl from the good old USA. We keep chickens mostly for eggs but we use the extras for meat too. Right now there’s only one layer breed I can get in country and they are definitely a hybrid. Maybe a red comet I’m not positive. Anyway I really want to hand carry heritage eggs over from the US to hatch out in the incubator. A breed that’s more long lived.
Does anyone know if the x-Rays will effect the embryos if all goes well and they actually make it through customs? I don’t really have much of a choice. Just like to read you all’s thoughts and ideas.

Last edited:
X-rays will affect the hatchability. If you have the proper documentation and hand carry them, you can prevent that.
Every country is different in their regulations and requirements for importation of hatching eggs. You'll need to look it up for your country. At a minimum, you'll need a veterinary health certificate for the flock where the eggs came from. Here is an example for Korea.
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/regulations/vs/iregs/animals/downloads/ks_doc_he_hc.pdfOne of the things you need to do is to check the USDA APHIS website.
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ourfocus/animalhealth/export/iregs-for-animal-exportsSelect a country from the dropdown list in the previous link. As an example, I picked Indonesia and then scrolled down to poultry/haching eggs and came up with this.
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/regulations/vs/iregs/animals/downloads/in_hr_doc_4_16.pdfThere's a guy who used to be on BYC that made regular trips from California to his home in the Phillipines. I think he imported over 10 different breeds to PH. He designed a special carrier that allowed him to put a couple hundred eggs on the seat next to him.
I think he still has a Facebook page about his adventure.

Last edited:
There's a guy who used to be on BYC that made regular trips from California to his home in the Phillipines. I think he imported over 10 different breeds to PH. He designed a special carrier that allowed him to put a couple hundred eggs on the seat next to him.
I think he still has a Facebook page about his adventure.

@ChickenCanoe
Ahh! So I’m not the only person in the world that wants to do something like this.
Thank you for the links. The site is very helpful. I’m only thinking of carrying 12eggs tops. No hard core hundreds of eggs. My husband would disown me.

You can expect a very low hatch rate even if you are able to keep them from being x-rayed.
I really don't think it would be worth the effort for 12 eggs. What kind of incubator do you have there? Even if you've successfully hatched in the US, humidity is likely to be an issue.
I think the first time the guy did it, he had about 100 eggs and only a dozen hatched.
You certainly aren't the only person. I want to bring eggs from Spain of the breed I raise for a genetic lift. I'm guessing I would need to make at least 3 trips there to find the farms to get eggs from with the right genetics. They would have to be willing to do all the paperwork on their end. The timing would have to be right to get enough eggs home in a timely manner to have any success hatching. I don't think I could even convince myself to go through all that expense and work for less than 100 eggs.

Last edited:
Live fowl are a more expensive option and usually require a lengthy quarantine at the destination. Carrying them on a plane internationally brings about other obstacles.

Definitely check with customs as it can vary so much between countries. Often any "fresh" food, plant, animal products are no-nos. As in no fresh fruits/veggies, meats, eggs, dairy, live animals without vet clearance & papers, etc. Good luck!

You can expect a very low hatch rate even if you are able to keep them from being x-rayed.
I really don't think it would be worth the effort for 12 eggs. What kind of incubator do you have there? Even if you've successfully hatched in the US, humidity is likely to be an issue.
I think the first time the guy did it, he had about 100 eggs and only a dozen hatched.
You certainly aren't the only person. I want to bring eggs from Spain of the breed I raise for a genetic lift. I'm guessing I would need to make at least 3 trips there to find the farms to get eggs from with the right genetics. They would have to be willing to do all the paperwork on their end. The timing would have to be right to get enough eggs home in a timely manner to have any success hatching. I don't think I could even convince myself to go through all that expense and work for less than 100 eggs.
A175A475-9196-48A2-8301-72308F701E36.jpeg
A175A475-9196-48A2-8301-72308F701E36.jpeg I have only use this once before and it was really successful. Nine eggs in nine chicks out. I know that’s not normally what happens. But the eggs were from my own chickens and only a few days old. If I did get eggs over I would put 9 in the incubator and for any leftover eggs I would try and find a local broody hen either mine or a friends.

Back
Top Bottom