Flys flys lots of flys.

el cotucho

In the Brooder
Sep 15, 2015
watauga tx
Any body have a good product to get rid of flys. I try to keep as clean as possible and the poop I bury and put a layer of dirt on top so is not expose. But still lots of flys. Heeeelp

Yea I try the traps but they keep on coming. I friend just call me and recommend "golden marlin" im trying that stuff and see how it works

Get rid of the fly traps, they just attract more flies! Use fly predators, they work better than anything and are non-toxic. Use good manure management too. If you bury the manure make sure you bury it far enough that the fly eggs and maggots cannot reach it. They can and will go an inch or more to get to a good manure source! Loose dirt is easy for they to burrow through.

I get my fly predators from Spalding Labs.
https://www.spalding-labs.com/

Realize that all those flies might be coming from your neighbor's property. Do they have dogs? Horses? Poultry? Trash? Any of those can be magnets for flies and their manure a breeding ground for more flies. The nice thing about fly predators is they can and will go to the neighbors and get rid of their flies too.

As long as you have animals you will always have flies,but there are ways to help keep them under control This is how I do it. Flies like moisture, I keep my outside run covered with a tarp. The bottom of the outside run has 1/2 inch wire mesh floor. I put a dust bath pan in the outside run filled with fine sand. When they bath in the sand they scatter sand over the sides which falls on the ground under the run and builds up over time, to this I add granulated lime stone ocassionally and lightly rake it everyday. The flies hate it, and does keep their numbers down. I do rake the poop out about once every couple of weeks and add it to my compost pile.Makes great compost.

Get rid of the fly traps, they just attract more flies! Use fly predators, they work better than anything and are non-toxic. Use good manure management too. If you bury the manure make sure you bury it far enough that the fly eggs and maggots cannot reach it. They can and will go an inch or more to get to a good manure source! Loose dirt is easy for they to burrow through.

I get my fly predators from Spalding Labs.
https://www.spalding-labs.com/

Realize that all those flies might be coming from your neighbor's property. Do they have dogs? Horses? Poultry? Trash? Any of those can be magnets for flies and their manure a breeding ground for more flies. The nice thing about fly predators is they can and will go to the neighbors and get rid of their flies too.
Thanks for your recommendation about the fly predators. I had never heard of this idea before. I only have 2 ducks but their coop is right below our sunroom and next to our patio so as you can imagine- the flies are a nuisance. I ordered some fly predators and I'm hoping to see a noticeable difference. Do the predators stay within the area you put them? I already have adult flies though so it seems I'm a little late. I'm going to put up some odor traps for the adults, that's what the spalding labs rep told me to do. Any experience with those? I was hopeful that my muscovy duck would eat more flies but she just doesn't seem motivated to catch them.

Back
Top Bottom