Flystrike - Questions about flock of 2 and isolation

Crop went down considerably but did not empty all the way. No hard, but I still can feel it is there
I'm glad to hear she's doing better this morning!

I would take out her food water tonight when she goes to bed, then re-check the crop in the a.m. If it's not empty all the way, then I would begin treating that.

When you feel the crop in the a.m. is it soft, hard, squishy, etc.? This will help you determine the course of treatment. I always give the coconut oil regardless of "which type" of crop issue I'm dealing with.
Since she had flystrike, the abdomen is swollen, etc. I'm suspecting that her crop may be turning sour. Could be wrong about that, but that's been my experience with swollen abdomens.

I'm linking 2 articles for you about treating crop issues. The first from Carol is my go to, but Leyla's is also very good and has more detailed info. I've followed both, so you can't really go wrong with either.

I'm sure it must be overwhelming for you at times - you had chickens from the get go - they came with the house! I think you have done a wonderful job taking care of her.
You've got this!

And yes...chickens are amazing!

This is Carol's (Azygous) https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

This is Leyla's (TwoCrows)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ntion-and-treatments-of-crop-disorders.67194/

I'm glad to hear she's doing better this morning!

I would take out her food water tonight when she goes to bed, then re-check the crop in the a.m. If it's not empty all the way, then I would begin treating that.

When you feel the crop in the a.m. is it soft, hard, squishy, etc.? This will help you determine the course of treatment. I always give the coconut oil regardless of "which type" of crop issue I'm dealing with.
Since she had flystrike, the abdomen is swollen, etc. I'm suspecting that her crop may be turning sour. Could be wrong about that, but that's been my experience with swollen abdomens.

I'm linking 2 articles for you about treating crop issues. The first from Carol is my go to, but Leyla's is also very good and has more detailed info. I've followed both, so you can't really go wrong with either.

I'm sure it must be overwhelming for you at times - you had chickens from the get go - they came with the house! I think you have done a wonderful job taking care of her.
You've got this!

And yes...chickens are amazing!

This is Carol's (Azygous) https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

This is Leyla's (TwoCrows)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ntion-and-treatments-of-crop-disorders.67194/
These are great articles and advice. I was at work today - she clearly ate some and drank some today but was not quite as active when I got home (not sure my husband kept the music on - ha!).

Her crop tonight feels more squishy so I think you're right. I took out food and water tonight and will feel again in the morning. These articles are great resources.

Thanks so much for the support! Really helping us get through!

@Wyorp Rock

Day 6: you were right! Sour crop. Certainly squishy this morning after I pulled food last night. She is not as energetic this morning (although her wound care was pretty early as I’m on my way to work…). I’ll start miconazole today. Hoping to give her a bit of outdoor time supervised with her friend as well. Wound healing nicely.

E26B2BC5-D832-4A38-84DD-A738DFED074E.jpeg
Pecky (my sick girl on the left) out with her friend in the jungle on her right. Finch left her alone for the most part - but we closely supervised as I’m not too trusting. Will do anti-candida for 7 days. A bit of time together each day until Pecky is better.

While she’s out of the woods she’s not in the clear. For sure only an hour or two outdoors and inside for the night. But I feel so much more confident in my care! Hopeful we will integrate these two with our 7 pullets when the time is right. Anything else to watch for or ideas for reintegration?

View attachment 2836808Pecky (my sick girl on the left) out with her friend in the jungle on her right. Finch left her alone for the most part - but we closely supervised as I’m not too trusting. Will do anti-candida for 7 days. A bit of time together each day until Pecky is better.

While she’s out of the woods she’s not in the clear. For sure only an hour or two outdoors and inside for the night. But I feel so much more confident in my care! Hopeful we will integrate these two with our 7 pullets when the time is right. Anything else to watch for or ideas for reintegration?
Where is she in the pecking order? My hen was at the top. The flock did not forget her after 7 days. Her wound closed up nearly fully, so there was no pecking issues when I reintegrated her back. I continued cleaning her wound for 3-4 days when she was in the flock and checked on her weekly after that. I still check on her today. She is molting currently.

Pecky was on top but clearly that would flips as of now. Might help with reuniting? I’ll post a pic of her wound tomorrow. Better it will take weeks to heal. Any other wound covering solutions? If my hen recovers a bit more would love to get her back with her Finch.

Pecky was on top but clearly that would flips as of now. Might help with reuniting? I’ll post a pic of her wound tomorrow. Better it will take weeks to heal. Any other wound covering solutions? If my hen recovers a bit more would love to get her back with her Finch.
Yeah, her wound is pretty severe, the pecking order will most likely change after a month. I had an easy case. I would wait until her wound fully heals to reunite her with her friend. Or you could watch them too. Just make sure no flies get near.

View attachment 2836808Pecky (my sick girl on the left) out with her friend in the jungle on her right. Finch left her alone for the most part - but we closely supervised as I’m not too trusting. Will do anti-candida for 7 days. A bit of time together each day until Pecky is better.

Since it's just those 2 adults together they will likely get along ok, but you'll still have to watch that Finch doesn't pick at her wounds - chickens are nosey.

You want her healed well before you move her and Finch into the new coop with the pullets. Your putting 2 strangers into 7 bird's territory. Now, it may go just fine or it could go south - there's really no way to know what will happen until you do it.
Chasing, blustering, screaming....alll that drama may happen. I leave it unless they are drawing blood.
Chickens can be charming, but they can also be quite nasty to one another too. You have space for everything (I think I read that), so hopefully there will only be drama for a few days until it all settles down.

Back
Top Bottom