Flystrike

May 20, 2020
So i noticed one of my hens had a rather dirty bum with a tiny bit of blood on her feathers. Upon closer inspection she had maggots crawling around her vent (such joy) I then spent 10 minutes hosing her butt clean with a garden hose, What more do i need to do or is this enough? ive cleaned out their nestbox and removed all visable droppings from their coop.

Good articles and advice from @ChickNanny13. Be sure if soaking to use warm water. A garden hose is way too cold on a chicken. Soaking in warm soapy or Epsom salts water will usually allow the maggots to come off. Be sure to try and remove each maggot visible. They will tend to hatch out more in the next 24 hours, so repeat the soak 2-3 times over the next day. Permethrin horse spray can kill the maggots on contact. Please post pictures if you can.

Hey thanks so much for your reply, I've checked on her twice since i cleaned her at 12 hour intervals, not a single maggot spotted. I think i caught it really early because they were very small and she only had a few red marks that looked like bug bites. Oh its also very hot where i am so garden hose is basically the same temp as a hot bath for the first couple minutes, especially because i use black pipe.

Back
Top Bottom