Foamy Eyes

GRB73

Songster
6 Years
Mar 10, 2016
SE Pennsylvania
I just noticed foam in my chicken's eyes. I read on this forum this could be the start of a respiratory illness and I should give Tylan? What dose should I give? Do I put it in her drinking water? I will isolate her. Anything else I should do?

I just noticed foam in my chicken's eyes. I read on this forum this could be the start of a respiratory illness and I should give Tylan? What dose should I give? Do I put it in her drinking water? I will isolate her. Anything else I should do?
Can you post some photos?

Any other symptoms?
How long have you had the chicken(s)?
How old?

Foam or bubbles in the eyes could be from respiratory illness. Commonly it's seen with Mycoplasma. Some other causes would be infection from getting debris in the eye or injury.
Have you looked at the eye to see if there's any peck marks or scabs?

If the foam or bubbles is the only symptom, then you may want to first try flushing the eye with saline, remove pus, bubbles, debris, etc. then apply an eye ointment. Terramycin eye ointment usually can be found at Tractor Supply or ordered online. Some folks use Plain Neosporin in the eye.

Antibiotics can treat symptoms of bacterial infection like Mycoplasma, but they are not a cure. The eye still needs to be cleaned a few times a day too.

Do you actually have any Tylan on hand? Injectable Tylan has been unavailable since the middle of last year. Most folks have been ordering Tylosin (soluble) online, but it's been sold out for several days from what I can tell.
If you have a vet, they may be able to prescribe you an appropriate medication if necessary.
Other antibiotics commonly used to treat Mycoplasma are Tetracyclines (Oxy and Doxy too), Tiamulin (Denagard) and sometimes Enrofloxacin (which is not approved for use in poultry!).

Keep in mind that not all antibiotics are effective against certain disease like Mycoplasma which has no cell wall. For instance, Penicillins and similar drugs only work against the cell wall so they would be ineffective.

If she gets worse, then getting some testing to find out what you are dealing with is a good idea.

Can you post some photos?

Any other symptoms?
How long have you had the chicken(s)?
How old?

Foam or bubbles in the eyes could be from respiratory illness. Commonly it's seen with Mycoplasma. Some other causes would be infection from getting debris in the eye or injury.
Have you looked at the eye to see if there's any peck marks or scabs?

If the foam or bubbles is the only symptom, then you may want to first try flushing the eye with saline, remove pus, bubbles, debris, etc. then apply an eye ointment. Terramycin eye ointment usually can be found at Tractor Supply or ordered online. Some folks use Plain Neosporin in the eye.

Antibiotics can treat symptoms of bacterial infection like Mycoplasma, but they are not a cure. The eye still needs to be cleaned a few times a day too.

Do you actually have any Tylan on hand? Injectable Tylan has been unavailable since the middle of last year. Most folks have been ordering Tylosin (soluble) online, but it's been sold out for several days from what I can tell.
If you have a vet, they may be able to prescribe you an appropriate medication if necessary.
Other antibiotics commonly used to treat Mycoplasma are Tetracyclines (Oxy and Doxy too), Tiamulin (Denagard) and sometimes Enrofloxacin (which is not approved for use in poultry!).

Keep in mind that not all antibiotics are effective against certain disease like Mycoplasma which has no cell wall. For instance, Penicillins and similar drugs only work against the cell wall so they would be ineffective.

If she gets worse, then getting some testing to find out what you are dealing with is a good idea.
No other symptoms. She is eating and drinking. The bubbles have cleared up. She was digging behind bushes before the bubbles appeared. But they showed in both eyes. I've called every TSC within 25 miles and no Tylan 50. We do have a vet that treats chickens. I will isolate and watch her, although I'm sure our other two chickens have already been exposed if it is anything. They are a close trio.

No other symptoms. She is eating and drinking. The bubbles have cleared up. She was digging behind bushes before the bubbles appeared. But they showed in both eyes. I've called every TSC within 25 miles and no Tylan 50. We do have a vet that treats chickens. I will isolate and watch her, although I'm sure our other two chickens have already been exposed if it is anything. They are a close trio.
Hopefully she just had debris in the eye since it's clear up.
Flushing the eye well with saline then seeing if the bubbles return over the course of a few days or is she develops symptoms would also be a good idea.

As state in my previous post (re posted and highlighted below for your reference). Tylan50 has not been available since the middle of last year. It was taken off the shelves.
Seeing what you can find in stock online would be the only thing you could do if you find that you are in need of medications and don't have a vet.

Thank you. She was still fine last night. Fingers crossed. We are fortunate here to have several vets in the area that treat chickens. I will take her asap if she shows symptoms.

Thank you. She was still fine last night. Fingers crossed. We are fortunate here to have several vets in the area that treat chickens. I will take her asap if she shows symptoms.
Glad she's still fine!

I have to wonder if she'd been digging around under the bushes, she may have got a poke in the eye which made it water up some. If she's doing good, then great!

Back
Top Bottom