Follow me to a trip to China

Pics
I am typing this on a Apple keyboard connected to a Linux laptop. And I use Android.
And I could buy a cheap tablet for the price of that hotel room.
Not everything Apple stinks, and not everything Google stinks, and not everything Linux stinks.
I am a computer nut.
Congratulations. It's still an irrelevant question because you are comparing apples to oranges. And since you, by your own admission, haven't stayed in a hotel for at least five years, and did not pay for said hotel room, you would have no idea what they cost

Is that where Shaoxing wine comes from? Or has it become more generic, like 'Cheddar' or 'Stilton' cheese?
I love the complimentary breakfast buffet in my hotel
I would too! Fabulous spread with something to suit people from all sorts of different breakfast cultures. Personally when I go on holiday I think eating local food is part of the experience, but lots of people like to stick with familiar food. What is the white fruit(?) with black speckles next to the Portugese custard tart on your plate?

Is that where Shaoxing wine comes from? Or has it become more generic, like 'Cheddar' or 'Stilton' cheese?

I would too! Fabulous spread with something to suit people from all sorts of different breakfast cultures. Personally when I go on holiday I think eating local food is part of the experience, but lots of people like to stick with familiar food. What is the white fruit(?) with black speckles next to the Portugese custard tart on your plate?
Local food is part of the experience. If I ever go to China and survive without being arrested, I will have plenty of dumplings provided I can afford them.
Oh. I forgot. Sometimes I eat cultures for breakfast. With honey on top. Mmm, yogurt...

Last edited:

Yes it is. Shaoxing is famous for its rice wine. I love it. For almost all my family, they drink this wine for lunch and dinner. But there is rarely any alcoholic. In the US, the Shaoxing wine in Asian stores are all for cooking. Is this the case in Britain?

It usually has to be made in Shaoxing.

I definitely agree with eating local.

The fruit is dragon fruit.

Yes it is. Shaoxing is famous for its rice wine. I love it. For almost all my family, they drink this wine for lunch and dinner. But there is rarely any alcoholic. In the US, the Shaoxing wine in Asian stores are all for cooking. Is this the case in Britain?

It usually has to be made in Shaoxing.

I definitely agree with eating local.

The fruit is dragon fruit.
I may have had dragon fruit. Can't remember exactly though.

I'm sure I saw one for $75 a night. Very recently too.
Where? Even cheap motels don’t usually cost that little. Most hotels, especially in big cities, cost at least $200-$300. Some more like $400-500. There are some that are $600-800+. $110 is extremely cheap for a hotel in a big city. Maybe in a small town you might be able to find one less but it’s extremely rare nowadays. Good luck finding anything less in the city.

Is this the case in Britain?
yes it is. The one we know and use says it's 'packed by' (which may or may not equate to 'made in') Shaoxing by the Shaoxing Baita Brew Beer Co., and it describes itself explicitly as cooking wine. Which is not to say it costs less than many table drinking wines from other parts of the world! Maybe I'll try a glass with dinner sometime :p

I have occasionally seen dragon fruit in the supermarket here; I'll try one next time. I'm guessing from the photo it needs to be peeled/skinned before eating, yes?

yes it is. The one we know and use says it's 'packed by' (which may or may not equate to 'made in') Shaoxing by the Shaoxing Baita Brew Beer Co., and it describes itself explicitly as cooking wine. Which is not to say it costs less than many table drinking wines from other parts of the world! Maybe I'll try a glass with dinner sometime :p

I have occasionally seen dragon fruit in the supermarket here; I'll try one next time. I'm guessing from the photo it needs to be peeled/skinned before eating, yes?
Try a small glass. It may taste sake like.

Definitely need to be skinned. Some flesh may be red if I remember correctly.

Back
Top Bottom