Quail Chick Learning Journey at the Ruskin Roost!

I wrote this somewhere here already... I also tended to view the feed much too scientific.
At our farming area there is a breeder, who also have some quails as subsidiary matter. He feeds chickenstarter first and then later chicken layer feed ... not matching the quail recommendations.

His quails grow, lay and are healthy.

Luckily here in germany we have quite good supply of perfect quail feed. I use it, regardless of the price. The only difference is, that ja eggs are a little bit bigger than his.
But big eggs can cause eggbound (knocking on wood, doesn't had it till now, just one vent prolapse, which I could fix).

My opinion is, these high protein recommendations are to max. eggs and meat, not the health of the birds. Of course I would not feed too low. But 24% isn't that far away.

Wow, that was a great post. Your chicks are very cute 😍

For the crying out, as @Fenrisulfr mentioned, they would naturally do that when calling for their quail mother, but obviously you're they're mum, so they'll pretty much just cry out until you come for the first little while. It will eventually wear off, but there isn't a whole lot you can do to stop it (besides giving them attention 24/7 :D) for now. It's a lot more when you only have one chick (trust me, I know). I hand raised a lone king quail chick last year who was rejected by her mum. Because she was alone, I had to give her pretty much constant attention. She's still tame as an adult now :)

As far as heating, I use a heat plate, they scamper under for warmth like a nest. It worked great, I can’t say enough good things about it. When they turned 2 weeks I shut the heat off but left the plate in for a day so it wouldn’t be a shock, then I put a box in its place, and they made a smooth transition.

With the light I feel like you’re turning off the sun, it must be so confusing for them haha. Plus there’s a lot of moving the light up and down, with the plate I just set it 1 setting taller as they grew, plus someone on here told me make one side higher so they can choose closer or further from the heat without leaving the comfort of the buddies it worked perfectly.

Wow, that was a great post. Your chicks are very cute 😍

For the crying out, as @Fenrisulfr mentioned, they would naturally do that when calling for their quail mother, but obviously you're they're mum, so they'll pretty much just cry out until you come for the first little while. It will eventually wear off, but there isn't a whole lot you can do to stop it (besides giving them attention 24/7 :D) for now. It's a lot more when you only have one chick (trust me, I know). I hand raised a lone king quail chick last year who was rejected by her mum. Because she was alone, I had to give her pretty much constant attention. She's still tame as an adult now :)
That is so nice to have such a close connection with your quail! I have a feeling that my little Tux and I will share that connection. The first hatched and the last are the ones who are always calling! Probably because I had to give them my individual attention to ensure their survival. It is day 5 already! And I can tell the difference between the ones I have handled more than others. I notice the ones I handle more love to cuddle and play! That is so great you rescued a lone king quail chick! Rescues are special. I rescued my house-bunny, Murphy and we have a very special bond even though she was 4 when I took her in. Thank you for you response! Have a great day!

As far as heating, I use a heat plate, they scamper under for warmth like a nest. It worked great, I can’t say enough good things about it. When they turned 2 weeks I shut the heat off but left the plate in for a day so it wouldn’t be a shock, then I put a box in its place, and they made a smooth transition.

With the light I feel like you’re turning off the sun, it must be so confusing for them haha. Plus there’s a lot of moving the light up and down, with the plate I just set it 1 setting taller as they grew, plus someone on here told me make one side higher so they can choose closer or further from the heat without leaving the comfort of the buddies it worked perfectly.
OOoo! I love the heat plate. This wasn’t available from my local feed store but I see them available online so I will order one for the future! Having one side higher and one side lower is great. I have one little quail that is tiny, 1/4 the size of the others, and he is constantly trying to get up high to be closer to the light which must be so stressful for him. Thank you for your response and recommendation!

That is so nice to have such a close connection with your quail! I have a feeling that my little Tux and I will share that connection. The first hatched and the last are the ones who are always calling! Probably because I had to give them my individual attention to ensure their survival. It is day 5 already! And I can tell the difference between the ones I have handled more than others. I notice the ones I handle more love to cuddle and play! That is so great you rescued a lone king quail chick! Rescues are special. I rescued my house-bunny, Murphy and we have a very special bond even though she was 4 when I took her in. Thank you for you response! Have a great day!

The rescues are always very special :love

Have a great day too!

Back
Top Bottom