Follow me to a trip to China

That is inexpensive, most hotels I stay in range around $280/night CAD. And no complimentary food at all (or disgusting pre made cereals only).
Yeah, with all of that awesome food itā€™s an especially good bargain. Here itā€™s usually disgusting ā€œeggsā€ and toast or bagel and thatā€™s it. Or cereal like you said.

I was going to say dragon fruit ā¤ļø Its great.

How does one correctly pronounce Shaoxing?

Gosh I am so stoked with following you along your journey šŸ’•
Mandarin Chinese has 3 voiceless silibants (linguist here). English has 2. "S" pronounced like hissing snake, "Sh" as in "be quiet" and "X" pronounced about halfway in-between. (Dialectal variations can shift stuff around, but standard pronunciation is about there. Vowels are another. English has 5 written vowels and about 9 sounds (still spelled with the 5). "I" and "E" are pronounced at the front of the mouth, lips NOT rounded. "A" (short like apple) is more in the middle, mouth dropped open a bit, still unrounded lips. "O" and "U" are at the back of the mouth (near mut not into the throat), with lips rounded. Chinese, "E" is back of mouth, sort of into the throat with lips NOT rounded. "A", "I", "O", and "U" are all pronounced in about the same place in the mouth as English. However, Chinese has another vowel, "Ɯ" (note the dots above it). It is pronounced in the front of the mouth as if you were going to say "I" (like iffy), but either lips rounded like for "boot". "He" (river) is like trying to swallow the vowel. "YĆ¼" (fish) at the front. Add in tones and it gets more complicated.

Template is 21c (70f) to 37c (99f) in Beijing today.
View attachment 3541200
Beijing is just so big. Too big for my taste.

Me crossing the street. 22 seconds left.
View attachment 3541199

Bicycle lane
View attachment 3541198

Parking for scooters and bikes.
View attachment 3541197

Convenience store. This reminds me of Japanese convenience stores.
View attachment 3541196

Some rant: soooo many takeout orders in China. On the streets here, maybe a quarter of the people are delivering take-out. Crazy. So much plastic waste too. Also people look at you funny if you don't use a phone to pay for stuff. Usually you are expected to use alipay or wechat pay here.
I would be taking advantage of all the bike stuff.

I've been to Beijing too many times and this trip is more about work and friendship. So no pictures of the usual touristy spots.

I love the complimentary breakfast buffet in my hotel. I ate too much every morning.

Pastries
View attachment 3540999

Noodle and savory pancake station
View attachment 3540998

Cereals šŸ¤£ View attachment 3540997

Fruits
View attachment 3540996

Sausages View attachment 3540995

A variety of dishesView attachment 3540993View attachment 3540991

Eggs and bacon
View attachment 3540990

They have very decent coffee
View attachment 3540992

My plates. So yummy.
View attachment 3540987View attachment 3540988
All of that for BREAKFAST I will stuff myself

Template is 21c (70f) to 37c (99f) in Beijing today.
View attachment 3541200
Beijing is just so big. Too big for my taste.

Me crossing the street. 22 seconds left.
View attachment 3541199

Bicycle lane
View attachment 3541198

Parking for scooters and bikes.
View attachment 3541197

Convenience store. This reminds me of Japanese convenience stores.
View attachment 3541196

Some rant: soooo many takeout orders in China. On the streets here, maybe a quarter of the people are delivering take-out. Crazy. So much plastic waste too. Also people look at you funny if you don't use a phone to pay for stuff. Usually you are expected to use alipay or wechat pay here.
I'm like you, way too crowded for me. Glad you're having fun though! Maybe I missed it somewhere but how long will you be gone?

Back
Top Bottom