Follow me to a trip to China

Pics
@lightm Will you be getting out of the cities to some rural locations?
Love the trains. It takes 1hr 45 mins to travel 120 miles from Bristol to London by train and we invented rail travel.:lol:
You wouldn't think so the time it takes to get anywhere.

It's all slow and waiting. You can lose an entire day getting to small distances

June 15th. Beijing, the high was 39c (100f). The dry heat is bearable.

Leaving Beijing.

Another gigantic intersection where at least they built this 4 way pedestrian bridge
20230615_105028.jpg

20230615_105132.jpg

Taking the subway to the train station
20230615_105330.jpg

Beijing south railroad station
20230615_115402.jpg
20230615_120140.jpg
20230615_114653.jpg

I have a particular attachment to KFC. KFC opened their first store in my hometown in my 3rd grade. It was POPULAR and expensive for Chinese at the time (early 90s). It tasted sooo good. It was like the most expensive restaurant in town.
My cousin, a lot older than me, told me that KFC is trash food in America. I did not believe him. Not at all.
China certainly has changed drastically for my generation. KFC is now also considered trash food here.

Scan my citizenship card and my face to enter the station.
20230615_114314.jpg

You have to use your citizen card to do everything, all transportation and hotels. For example, it is theoretically impossible for you to book 2 different hotels for the same night. It is a scannable card. The government literally knows everybody's whereabouts at all times. This is not the kind of "safe" world that I want to be in.

Mostly farmland along the train ride.
20230615_142105.jpg

20230615_135041.jpg

Leaving Beijing.

Another gigantic intersection where at least they built this 4 way pedestrian bridge
View attachment 3543501
View attachment 3543500

View attachment 3543499

View attachment 3543496View attachment 3543495View attachment 3543497

I have a particular attachment to KFC. KFC opened their first store in my hometown in my 3rd grade. It was POPULAR and expensive for Chinese at the time (early 90s). It tasted sooo good. It was like the most expensive restaurant in town.
My cousin, a lot older than me, told me that KFC is trash food in America. I did not believe him. Not at all.
China certainly has changed drastically for my generation. KFC is now also considered trash food here.

View attachment 3543498

You have to use your citizen card to do everything, all transportation and hotels. For example, it is theoretically impossible for you to book 2 different hotels for the same night. It is a scannable card. The government literally knows everybody's whereabouts at all times. This is not the kind of "safe" world that I want to be in.

View attachment 3543493
View attachment 3543494
That looks like a very fancy train station.
Josephine was looking at the face scanner and nodding in approval. She says she would like to know everyone's whereabouts all the time. I disagree. That is not safe at all.

Are you a Chinese citizen?

Leaving Beijing.

View attachment 3543501
View attachment 3543500

View attachment 3543499

View attachment 3543496View attachment 3543495View attachment 3543497

View attachment 3543498

View attachment 3543493
View attachment 3543494
A sad thing of our contemporary world is that it's often the trash aspects of western civilization that have appeared to be the summum of progress to other parts of the world. I think there was a time when it was education that held this appeal, from a long time ago up to the 1960s ?

It's funny about KFC. I used to be a couch traveller host 15 years ago and had quite a few chinese students at home, and they all raved about KFC 😊. I get it now !

Your photos are very impressive. Almost science fiction like 🙂.
@notabitail I think Chinese nationality is required to have a citizen card.

A sad thing of our contemporary world is that it's often the trash aspects of western civilization that have appeared to be the summum of progress to other parts of the world. I think there was a time when it was education that held this appeal, from a long time ago up to the 1960s ?

It's funny about KFC. I used to be a couch traveller host 15 years ago and had quite a few chinese students at home, and they all raved about KFC 😊. I get it now !

From what it sounds like, lightm grew up in China and is now a US citizen. So maybe that is why lightm has the citizen card then.
Mmm, drumsticks! Josey is asleep in the coop. She will not notice that I am typing this.

That looks like a very fancy train station.
Josephine was looking at the face scanner and nodding in approval. She says she would like to know everyone's whereabouts all the time. I disagree. That is not safe at all.

Are you a Chinese citizen?
yes I am a Chinese citizen. China does not do dual citizenship. I am a permanent US resident.

Whoever is in charge of KFC in China, did a good job. The menu is very different and the food is better than us.

Back
Top Bottom