Food and H2O Questions

Momoflilgs

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 5, 2011
A little background- We have three nine-week old chicks that live full time in a chicken tractor. The coop is upstairs and the run is downstairs. We move the tractor so the girls have new grass every day. They are always on grass. We close the ramp every night after they have gone upstairs to roost.

Food Questions- I still have their original chick feeder and keep it upstairs in the coop. I have the chick feed in it and they do eat from the feeder but I also offer them treats from the garden. Since I have them on grass, do I still need to offer grit? I have the chick-sized grit and thought I could put a tiny bowl of it upstairs in the coop for them.

Water Question- I keep the water in the run. Since they are locked in their coop at night, they don't have access to the water. Is this okay?

85328_coop_with_girls_6-3-11.jpg

First off, that is a very cute tractor.

They do need grit if you are feeding them greens and things other than chicken feed. chick sized is ok as long as they have some hard material to help them grind up the food.

They are fine without a waterer in the coop at night if they are only in there at night because they pretty much sleep when it is dark and do not need water. If they are in there when they are awake and it is light, then you should supply some type of watering system. I do not provide water in my coop because they only sleep in it.

I have never given my chickens grit. I figure they pick it up when they are pecking around in the dirt and grass. And I do not have food or water in my coop (no room), so the girls don't get anything at night. But I must say they do make a beeline to the food dish in the morning!

A chicken's food goes, as is, into the crop, where it is slowly funneled into a very small " stomach" for some digestive additives--then to the Gizzard, where it is 'chewed', that is, ground into material that can be digested as it moves into the intestines and so on... The Gizzard is best able to break down whole grains and other chunky bits that they eat when full of grit. Longest lasting grit is Granite, that lasts well. All other rock and stone is so much softer, that it wears down fast and that is why granite grit is best choice, works really well for best utilization of feeds. My baby chicks are given free choice and they choose it with pleasure, Chick grit is fine Granite, as soon as they are given anything besides Starter Crumbles. Their tiny gizzards are at optimum function at an early age. I first give my chicks some treats such as rolled oats, lettuce, vegie scraps at 2/3 weeks with a dish of free choice Chick grit. I get my chick grit at TSC.

Back
Top Bottom