Food and water amounts for sick/recovering rooster

When you say an external injury -- do you mean like a wound? What should I be looking for exactly? Thank you.
Yes. Check his back, sides, under his wings, his neck, etc. to see if there's any wounds or punctures. Look under the feathers really well they can hide a lot of things.

He had a Hawk on his back - he lost feathers - he may not have any wounds, but hawks rip with their beak and talons (talons are razor sharp and very impressive).

The comb doesn't look very good, but generally Frostbite alone on the comb should not be causing such a depressed state, so it would be good to see if you can narrow down what else may be going on.

Poop is green likely due to not eating well. I would still try to encourage him to eat his normal feed, but things like scrambled egg, a bit of tuna, canned cat or dog food, etc. can be given to add interest. Hydration is always most important, so do the best you can to get him drinking.

Yes. Check his back, sides, under his wings, his neck, etc. to see if there's any wounds or punctures. Look under the feathers really well they can hide a lot of things.

He had a Hawk on his back - he lost feathers - he may not have any wounds, but hawks rip with their beak and talons (talons are razor sharp and very impressive).

The comb doesn't look very good, but generally Frostbite alone on the comb should not be causing such a depressed state, so it would be good to see if you can narrow down what else may be going on.

Poop is green likely due to not eating well. I would still try to encourage him to eat his normal feed, but things like scrambled egg, a bit of tuna, canned cat or dog food, etc. can be given to add interest. Hydration is always most important, so do the best you can to get him drinking.
Thank you again. So I've checked him using a flashlight -- I do not see any punctures or injury. To be clear, the feathers were from the hawk, and not Otis, however. It was a vicious fight-- the hawk only stopped when I came out and forced him away. However, I agree with you that the frostbite should not be causing such a state.

Thank you again -- he drank better last night and ate a good amount of food -- ON HIS OWN -- that included some of his softened pellets, an egg and a bit of scratch. However, this morning, he seems disinterested again. It's weird.

I think you should feed him a steady diet....a bunch of new foods can upset his stomach. I would feed scrambled eggs or low sugar yoghurt. you can also give him some normal chicken food, if you crush it. On the water, I would give him as much as he will drink. You can add Sav-A -chick to the water for vitamins. hope he feels better! :D :hugs

Thank you again. So I've checked him using a flashlight -- I do not see any punctures or injury. To be clear, the feathers were from the hawk, and not Otis, however. It was a vicious fight-- the hawk only stopped when I came out and forced him away. However, I agree with you that the frostbite should not be causing such a state.

Thank you again -- he drank better last night and ate a good amount of food -- ON HIS OWN -- that included some of his softened pellets, an egg and a bit of scratch. However, this morning, he seems disinterested again. It's weird.
Is his crop emptying overnight?

Is his crop emptying overnight?
Yes, it appears to be. This morning, he is quiet and still again -- while having been alert, eating and taking in fluids pretty easily last evening. This seems to be the pattern. He is better in the evenings -- worse in the mornings. I am working from home, and dealing with the chemo nurse -- I am going to try giving him some scrambled egg as soon as I get a break. He only took in a few sips of water (with Rooster Booster) this morning thus far.

:hugs I'm so sorry. You're doing the best you can.
I've found that my birds really are fans of having "extras" in their water and don't drink very well, so he may be more agreeable with just plain water. Try that? I usually just direct dose (syringe) vitamins or add them to a little wet feed.

:hugs I'm so sorry. You're doing the best you can.
I've found that my birds really are fans of having "extras" in their water and don't drink very well, so he may be more agreeable with just plain water. Try that? I usually just direct dose (syringe) vitamins or add them to a little wet feed.
So, he is now eating much better (albeit mostly scrambled eggs, a few of his All-Flock pellets and some scratch) -- and drinking without me having to "force" him -- IF I hold the water (with Rooster Booster added) up for him. He is exploring a bit more, too.

I cannot find any signs of hidden injury anywhere.

This morning, he crowed for the first time since he's been sick. However, his crow is NOT normal at all -- which is normally quite loud and clear. Additionally, I notice that he doesn't stretch his head straight up like normal to do it, but rather contorts kind of oddly. I have attached a short video so that you can see what I am talking about.

His poos are still a bit watery -- and less than what I would consider "normal"

Just interested in your opinion, and if you think there is anything else I should be doing.

Back
Top Bottom