Food and water in the coop

I liked having my food and water in the predator-hardened run I had with the in-town chickens.

I left the pop door open 24/7 so that the chickens could get themselves up and put themselves to bed so they had constant access to food and water but I never had to deal with the mess of spilled feed and/or water in the coop.
Dumb question: what's a pop door?

Good morning all,
Newbie to chickens here. We just finished our 6x18 coop and run last weekend and have had our girls in the run during the daytime. The girls are 7 weeks old and we are ready to move them from the brooder to the coop at night. Question for all you pros. Do we put food and water in the coop for them at night or just have the food and water in the run for them during the day? Thank you!
I have food and water in the coop all the time. I dont think they eat or drink at night but they do first thing in the morning. I also have a waterer in the run for the daytime.

Your chickens or predators should not be able to open it, unless you have a fully predator proof run. Then it can stay open. It could be manual or automatic. It could be held closed with a padlock or a bungee cord etc...
It is just a door for chickens...up for interpretation and creativity.
Ok, thank you! I have an abundance of predators to keep away. I live in the Cascade mountains in a protected wilderness. Bears, cougars, bobcats, wolves, coyote, major birds of prey. Fortunately, no snakes but little garters, no raccoons.

Back
Top Bottom