Food and Water

mine go out if it is raining lightly..some of them..if it is storming they stay under a shelter if outside or stay inside the coop. Honestly, outside of the youngsters..they decide if it is ok to go outside or not. I have one timid little silkie (lowest in the pecking order from what I can see) stays inside most of the time. I try to hold it a lot since it seems to be the "outsider) I leave the chickens to make their own decision as to whether to go outside or not. Some see snow and freak out lol but most will stay in the shelter and look at it. Some brave souls just totter right out in it if the sun is out.
Let them teach you

Welcome
welcome-byc.gif
. Glad you are here
celebrate.gif
. Nice advice you've been given! Good luck!

Wow. Interesting ideas. Rich, my girls are spoiled rotten and would NEVER go W/O food or H2O EVER. Even while free ranging. That may be why they follow me everywhere. Welcome to BYC
barnie.gif

Many people give them outdoor access 24/7, particularly with a secure run. Chickens go out in the rain all the time. Mine might go under a shelter during that few minutes of really hard rain but are then back out in it.

If you do take the food away at night, I hope you are an early riser, as they will be up at the crack of dawn, looking for food.

Back
Top Bottom