Food Coloring and Silkie( Dying Silkies)

Tricia5099

Songster
7 Years
Mar 17, 2012
Nothern IN
I was wondering if dipping silkies in food coloring diluted with water would harm them? now im taking about fully developed silkies not eggs. If it wouldn't cause any harm to them I would like to dip them in food coloring dilute to make acute picture. However I would NEVER do this if it will harm the birds. please just let me know and no hate please. like I said I m not going to do it if it could hurt the bird in any way shape or form

Somewhere, someplace on site there are pictures of someone's dyed silky. I'm not a fan of clothed, diapered, or dyed animals, but must admit that it looked sort of neat.

Last edited:
I don't know about food coloring. It seems harmless enough. I do know that kids will sometimes dye their hair with Kool Aid packets. It comes in a bunch of different colors too. It just depends on which one you think has the least amount of chemicals in it, I suppose. Well then, I guess the packets are out...lol !!! Good luck and may I be so bold as to ask why you want to dye them. A photo shoot or ???
Thanks.

Not ill-effects from using food coloring to dye a Silkie. Melanie does it frequently and it eventually just fades away. Our poor little white roo even got the extra Easter egg dye dumped on it. :D

Besides, if you can food color a vent to track eggs, why would it hurt them externally?

Food coloring is made to be put in food. It’s not poisonous. It’s made to be put in food. I’d not be worried about it from that aspect.

Sometimes if you ask a hatchery to mark certain chicks in an order, they will do so. Maybe you are splitting an order and have two breeds that the chicks look very much alike. A common way to mark those chicks is to put a spot of food coloring on the forehead in a contrasting color so you can tell them apart. That’s on down, not feathers, but I don’t think they would be doing that if it harmed the chicks.

As far as harming the chickens I would to worry about it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ont-one-person-yell-at-me-coloring-my-chicken

It's a long thread, but at the end it says post #369 says how it was done.

thanks I just read that too. I want to use something that wont last so long. because they are exhibition birds and I don't think that they recognize pink silkies in the standard of perfection
lau.gif

I don't know about food coloring. It seems harmless enough. I do know that kids will sometimes dye their hair with Kool Aid packets. It comes in a bunch of different colors too. It just depends on which one you think has the least amount of chemicals in it, I suppose. Well then, I guess the packets are out...lol !!! Good luck and may I be so bold as to ask why you want to dye them. A photo shoot or ???
Thanks.

yes, I want to do an photo shoot and I thought it would be cute, not that silkies aren't adorable but it is just something I want to try.

It shouldn't cause them any harm, I'd really hope what I put in my food is safe enough not to harm a chicken's feathers. Some people will be judgmental about it saying it's unnatural but don't let it bother you. If you do, post the photos!

Back
Top Bottom