Food Consumption

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by KOTurkeyRanch, Jan 18, 2011.

1. KOTurkeyRanch

KOTurkeyRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Western PA
    How many pounds per day should i feed one turkey? Im feeding them 21% protein

2. jasonm11

jasonm11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    if they are like mine they will stop eating when they are full. [​IMG]

3. KOTurkeyRanch

Jul 8, 2009
    Western PA
    But how much food do you put in for each turkey?

4. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Mine have it available free choice, they do tend to stop before the chickens and seem more interested in foraging than in the processed food. But I'm a beginner and could be doing it all wrong!

5. jasonm11

jasonm11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    Quote:I do the same, i fill the bucket about half way and check it every few days. They seem to graze all day.

6. terri9630

terri9630 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    New Mexico
    I've got a feeder that holds 35lbs of feed and refill it when it gets low. They wander their pen (40x50) and eat what and when they want.

7. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

I just gauge it by how much they are eating. You don't want to much feed in the feeder or it will get damp and mold this time of year especially. If the feeders are totaly empty give more.

Steve

8. terri9630

terri9630 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    New Mexico
    Quote:I don't usually have that problem. Not much rain here.

9. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Because the amount per turkey will vary with the age and size of the turkeys, the environment they're kept in, etc. the best thing to do is take a few days to get a feel for your flock's needs. Fill up your feeders, whatever type you have, and then keep watch over them. Check a couple times per day until the feed in the feeder gets low. Ideally you want the feed to last until the next time you wish to fill up your feeders -- I recommend doing so every or every other day -- but not have so much left over that you risk pests stealing the feed, it going stale or rancid, etc.

Within a very few days you'll know how much your flock requires. Just aim to have a little leftover each night when they've gone to roost -- or if you fill feeders every other day to have a little left over when they go to roost every other day.

10. KOTurkeyRanch

Jul 8, 2009
    Western PA
    for a 20 pound bird its just under a pound per day

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by