food for duck

horsejody

Squeaky Wheel
11 Years
Feb 11, 2008
Waterloo, Nebraska
I have one duckling. He is a Pekin. Somebody abandoned him at the vet's office. The vet knows I'm a softy so he called me. The previous owner was feeding him dry cat food. I have tried getting him to eat Purina Flackraiser by mixing some dry cat food in. He hasn't been eating much of it. I think he might do better with a pelleted food. The Flockraiser is crumbles. I know in some parts of the country it comes in pellets, but we can't get that here. Is there something better? Where does one buy waterfowl food? I have tried Tractor Supply and 2 Purina dealers with no luck.

Do you have a local farm supply store? They usually have feed for all types of poultry. The duck food i use is non-medicated duck feed mixed with scratch, grits, and crumbled oyster shells.

I have Flockraiser, but he hates it. I was hoping to find something pelleted, but not even Purina offers Flockraiser in pelleted form in this part of the counry. Every thing for younger poultry is powdery crumbles. On the bright side, I guy called me back from the Nutrena dealer. He should find out on Thursday if they can get some Nutrena pelleted waterfowl feed in. Meanwhile, I guess Chester is stuck with the Flockraiser and anything I can get him to eat.

Purina dealers can order it for you.
Call Purina at 1-800-227-8941.

They will be more than happy to help you. I called them several months ago. They were really helpful and told me exactly what I needed and where I could get it. They have even emailed me and called me to follow up to make sure that I had no problems getting what I wanted/needed.

Also, all Purina dealers can order Purina duck foods including the Purina brand and the Mazuri brand.

Good luck.

Laurie

Quote:
I have to have our local Purina dealer special order the chicken feed. It usually takes 2 week to get in. The closest Purina Mills plant is in Colorado so all the supplies come from there. That mill doesn't do pellets, except for Layena. I think I,m gonna give the Nutrena guy a try. Cargill makes their feed, and Cargill is local. Hopefully, this picky little duck will like the stuff. Right now he seems to have a strong preference for Meow Mix. I worry that he's not getting enough to eat. He won't touch the flock raiser. I put a little dry cat food in it to get him interested, but he just won't eat it. His adopted mother (Creve Coeur hen) showed him some tasty June bugs in the run this morning, but he didn't want those either. The little brat just picked the cat food out of the dish and went for a dip in the water tub.

Back
Top Bottom