Food getting stuck in the beak

rag1201

In the Brooder
Jul 29, 2020
I have 3 female quails and all 3 are fed the same feed everyday. However, one of the quail had a big lump of feed stuck in its beak and I had to literally clean it out using a small stick and a tissue. (Image attached)
I'm not sure what caused this but everytime it ate, a bit of the feed got stuck to its beak and I eventually noticed it when the bird was just lying in the corner and the beak was really messy with the damage pretty evident. The food stuck to the beak had hardened pretty much.
IMG_20200806_211453.jpg

Is it due to some sort of a disease or is it because I grind my feed too fine? Do I need to keep the crumble size slightly bigger?? I'm in the dark here, please advise..
I have no trouble with the other 2 birds..

What kind of quail? Are they chicks? If not, you don't have to grind their feed. Even Button Quail shouldn't have problems with gamebird crumble, and I've seen Coturnix-sized birds eat pellets no problem.

It might be so fine it's making a "cement" (like, ever eaten a cracker that was so dry/crumbly it stuck in your mouth?).

What kind of quail? Are they chicks? If not, you don't have to grind their feed. Even Button Quail shouldn't have problems with gamebird crumble, and I've seen Coturnix-sized birds eat pellets no problem.

It might be so fine it's making a "cement" (like, ever eaten a cracker that was so dry/crumbly it stuck in your mouth?).
Thyre Coturnix quails and no they are not chicks. Yes I'm guessing the same, I think it's forming a concrete type layer and it's getting accumulated. I'll stop grinding the feed probably.

If possible, could you post a picture of the crumble that you feed? I will probably try and grind mine to the same consistency.

I feed my Quail and Diamond Dove a megablend of various feed mixes. Scrappy and Lulu gobble it all down, quail pellets, sunflower seeds and suet pellets first and the rest following not long afterwards.

Gamebird/Quail Pellets
Domestic Finch Mix
Wild Finch Mix
Generic Wild Bird Seed Mix
No-Grow Wild Bird Feed Mix
20200803_102024.jpg
20200803_102035.jpg

Coturnix quail have big mouths too for their slender beaks, Scrappy can eat loose peanuts with ease.
ezgif-7-92b8cfea9af0.gif

I feed my Quail and Diamond Dove a megablend of various feed mixes. Scrappy and Lulu gobble it all down, quail pellets, sunflower seeds and suet pellets first and the rest following not long afterwards.

Gamebird/Quail Pellets
Domestic Finch Mix
Wild Finch Mix
Generic Wild Bird Seed Mix
No-Grow Wild Bird Feed Mix
Coturnix quail have big mouths too for their slender beaks, Scrappy can eat loose peanuts with ease.
Thank you. :)

Back
Top Bottom