Food in grass got a fuzzy mold

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Mattemma, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I was just about to put out our 7wo chicks in the run and noticed fuzzy white stuff all over the feed that had been spilled in the run(grassy area fenced in).It had rained. I quickly made an area for them with bamboo stakes,plastic fence,and zip ties.

Now the question is how do I clean up all the moldy feed in the grass and make the area safe for the chickens? I have raked and picked up what I could.Should I spray with bleach?Water the area over and over?Keep the chicks out of there for a week or 2?

I can put up the fencing in various areas,but this little spot was perfect by the big hens and the kids pool.I could keep an eye on everyone from this one spot.

2. ihavechicks

ihavechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Cypress Inn, TN
    I have the same question. I went to let my chicks out this morning & noticed the same thing. Should I just dig it up?

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I used to feed out in the run, and that is the exact reason why they only get food in the coop now. Once that feed gets wet, it can mold and really, really stink![​IMG]

I've got a much bigger coop and so now, no more food in the run. All I can say is you've gotta rake it up, shovel it up, whatever it takes.....such a crappy job!

4. TheMainException

TheMainException Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Lebanon, PA
    Would they actually eat that anyway? I know chickens sometimes eat the absolute strangest things, but mold? I'd like to think that they wouldn't do that.

5. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Quote:You can take a water hose and wash the feed into the ground.

6. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I bought a bunch of large plastic plant saucers so that I can slip one under each of the feeders. Spilled feed gets caught in the saucer so I don't have to mess with cleaning it up off the ground.

My chickens spend their daytime in a tractor, so I need to be able to put their food out there with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by