Food in the coop or in the run?

I'm building a Garden Coop as well and I plan to keep the food and water in the exact same spot, hanging underneath the hen house inside the run. All the photos I've see of the Garden Coop have the food and water in this spot (I'm of the same thinking, that I don't want to take up space inside). Did you modify your coop in any way from the plans? I'm doing external nesting boxes on the side and a window in the front.

As of now, we kept the plans exact. I do love those external nesting boxes though! It's seems pretty split up as to where to keep the feed. However, the negatives that have been brought up for keeping the food outside don't really apply for the 'garden coop'. The entire area is predator proof (including small critters such as mice), and the feeders would always be kept out of the elements thanks to the overhead hen house and above roof. Maybe in the winter we'll keep a small heated waterer inside in addition to the big one outside just incase the other freezes over. I live in southern VA, so it wouldn't happen all that often :)

Almost done with my garden coop. Added external nest boxes and increased the overall size by a foot each way. Will have a window on the front as well and the pop door will be on the side vs in the floor! Obviously with the garden coop you don't have tI worry about wild bird seating the food as they can't get in. I did use tin for the roofing as it was a but cheaper and I didn't need to use those foam spacers for the ridges.

Unless you are using hardware cloth with the fine mesh wire for your fencing I would definitely keep the food in the coop. The wild sparrows and all their friends will clean them out otherwise! The risk of disease of course is a reason, but those little buggers can empty a 5lb feeder in no time, and they don't even leave an egg as payment.

I'm keeping food and water in the run, under roof. My run is completely enclosed with hardware cloth and wire so no other birds or critters can get in.

Thanks delvochix, yes I used 1/4" hardware cloth. Only think getting through that are bugs, and somehow I don't think they'll last to long! :) gino100, I really like the idea of having a window in the front. What kind of window are you doing? Will it be able to open for extra ventilation in the summer?

Thanks delvochix, yes I used 1/4" hardware cloth. Only think getting through that are bugs, and somehow I don't think they'll last to long! :) gino100, I really like the idea of having a window in the front. What kind of window are you doing? Will it be able to open for extra ventilation in the summer?

Yes it will open.. Basically and opening with hardware cloth over it. I salvaged an item from habitat restore. Not sure what is was for but it looks like a 6 panel window frame ( they had a bunch if them..). I was going to put plexiglass behind it and attach it to some hinges. I figure it would be nice to be able to peek in there and check on them when needed.

I do both. Mostly inside the coop during the Winter months (snow drifts can get in the run and a heated water container is a must for me inside the coop). Alot of outside feeding and watering during the warm months.

Back
Top Bottom