Food Scraps?

Mine are the same, they love just about anything.
Ditto. Btw welcome to BYC sallyintheally. My chickens eat everything (including limes, lemons, grapefruit, and oranges). They have never gotten hurt from eating table scraps. We do still give them a nutritional diet of grains.

I feed my chickens all kinds of things. Sometimes they aren't even table scraps. When an egg is laid with a crack or I break the shell in the house, I scramble it up and feed it to them. They love it!

Hi and welcome! I've learned a lot from the folks on here.

My chicks have a feeder with 18% protein layer pellets that has some in it all the time. They can eat from it anytime. I give them everything in the way of scraps. I seem to remember that when my grandma had chickens when I was a child they only got scraps. No buying special food for them. I might be wrong, but those were hard times. I remember carrying out the scraps every day. I have learned that it's useless to give them some things, citrus peels like orange, grapefruit peels, banana peels, avocado skins, etc, but I learned that by seeing in the chicken yard what they don't eat. So those things I just trash. But mine get lots of pasta, old bread, oatmeal, all kinds of veggie peelings and scraps, meat scraps, all our egg shells. They seem to be healthy and happy. Good luck and have fun!

Mine get scraps too. I figure if they'll eat snakes, scorpions, hornets & all sorts of other stuff, it sure wouldn't hurt them to eat scraps. My girls go crazy for spaghetti, grapes, watermelon and cheerios with milk. There's stuff they won't touch, like carrots and broccoli but they love scraps and come RUNNING from wherever they're foraging when I step outside and yell "oh GIRRRRLIES" or ring my chicken bell.

If these are 4H MEAT chickens, then you might want to stick to the diet recommended to you by the 4H leader. Give them some scraps as treats. Meat chickens for show are different from just backyard chickens for eggs. You might want to repost this in the meat chicken forum and ask about showing Cornish Cross. In your original post you did not state if you are getting these for eggs or meat. I remember reading a very detailed post about raising meat chickens for show.

As far as backyard chickens for eggs, the more yummy stuff, the merrier. Mine love all kinds of scraps, kitchen trimmings and goodies from the garden. If you have them through the summer, remember, chickens can't sweat. When they get hot, they open their beaks and pant like a dog. I give mine a shallow tub to wade in, as the cool water cools the blood in their feet and legs and thus, as the blood circulates through their body, it helps to cool them down. Another thing they love is what I call "chicken popsicles" which is frozen watermelon rind, cantaloupe peelings and seeds, cucumbers, any goodies that you can freeze for them.

Chickens are a lot of fun. They are addicting, you will want MORE! I love all the different breeds and colors, wish I could have them all. Enjoy your chickens!

I inherited five hens from the previous owner when I bought the small farm I live on now. It's only been three months, but I've already learned that chickens will eat almost anything. My horse vet told me she gives hers all sorts of kitchen scraps, so I started trying them out on fruits and vegetables and they are delighted. I don't think they've had anything but commercial feed before, but they seem to enjoy just about anything I give them.

I've only had chickens for 2 yrs. I'm still learning myself. I give them scraps 2-3 times a week. ( more of I have them )
Mine like rice, bread, mashed potatoes, egg shells, and all veggies and fruits that I have given. Their most favorite things are by far... cheese, and yogurt. I can shake a bag of shredded cheese and they will come running.

Back
Top Bottom