food smoking are you a smoker of meats? can you help? share your recipes!

Well I didn't hear from the company I bought the smoker from, so using eBay sent a msg asking them to call - to make sure I paid everything (it seemed so cheap). About an hour later a really pleasant woman called to tell me she had "the boys clean, palletize, strap and shrink wrap the thing - I'll probably get it by Thursday. Also looked all around for a rub recipe - can't tell you how many places I scoured. Eventually bought a recipe on eBay for 75 cents - the guy emailed me it. I had to laugh as it was doggone close to what I have been using all along on my pulled pork. When I visited my mom I made a small batch of this rub to use as a general seasoning (I was cooking up a storm for her, she loved it)...

Here is my old pulled pork recipe - this I did in a dutch oven in the oven. The bbq sauce is very tasty and my rub is doggone close to most of the rib rub recipes I have seen so far.

Big's Pulled Pork Recipe, check out the rub/bbq sauce. I OVEN BAKE my sauce - now I'll put my sauce in the smoker. No fooling.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/165774/bigs-pulled-pork

This recipe seems to cover what most folks use as a "base" rub... the coffee - if you can grind it to a powder, like a really fine espresso. It disappears while roasting and man it's great.

4 Tbsp ground coffee
3 Tbsp coarse salt
2 Tbsp paprika
3 Tbsp brown sugar
2 Tbsp pepper
2 TBS garlic flakes
3 tsp onion powder
3 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp coriander
2 tsp ground mustard

Also most folks seem to rub on plain old american style French's Mustard on their ribs or brisket and then apply the rub into that. The mustard acts as a glue and the small amount of vinegar acts as a tenderizer. ALSO of huge notice is a product called Morton's Tenderquick, this is an essential ingredient if you are making beef jerky and don't want to refrigerate it. WHY ?? Well Tenderquick has a small amount of nitrate and nitrite which act as preservatives and tenderizers all at once. Nitrates and nitrites are used to cure/keep stuff like salamis, jerky, and sausages. You've seen whole salamis hanging in delis on hooks - they keep because of salt, nitrate and nitrite they're cure with. Pepperoni too, it also helps meat keep that vibrant red color (think of pepperoni folks)...

Here's a good basic teriyaki jerky marinade, easy as pie.

1 cup Yoshida's Marinade (Costco and Sam's carry it, awesome stuff)
1 tsp Morton's Tenderquick
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 Tsp Ground Cumin
1 Tsp Ground Cayenne pepper
1 Tsp Red Pepper Flakes
1 Tsp ground black pepper
1 Tsp Garlic Powder
1 Tsp Onion Powder

This lovely little mixture is enough for a good 2 lbs of jerky - dumped into a zippered bag and mixed well, then add your slice meat and marinate refrigerated 24 hours. Remove from fridge 2 hours before using. Place slices of cut meat on jerky skewers or use large paper clips bent as hangers (yeah for American Ingenuity). Hang them in your smoker and smoke at 160 for about 4 hours. The last hour crack the door on your smoker so the product can DRY. Some folks like their jerky fat sliced and moist, others like it thin and tough. I sort of like it in between...

Here's a Cookshack video on making jerky. This cat makes 5 lbs at a time in a smoker much like mine. Can't wait....

thank you for taking so much time to type all that i read ever letter. looking forward to seeing the pics when you get it
smile.png

I've just retired from my catering biz, but I've cooked commercially since 2003 with a Cookshack. The only thing you can expect it not to do is leave that pretty smoke ring, otherwise you get a consistent product that people keep coming back for. Congrats h4ppy-chris on getting your smoker up and going. I'm sure it will bring happiness to many mouths in the future. That bird was sure nice! And congrats to you Big Mike as I'm sure you will enjoy and make happy faces aplenty!
My Cookshack loaded with 12 happy briskets.
smokbrisk.jpg

just because your retired dont mean you can't have fun on here and help us out. that looks like a well seasoned smoker
smile.png

A good chicken rub:

1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon onion salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon orange peel
1 dash of rosemary

I use an electric smoker with a smoke daddy smoke generator. A little hickory with apple or cherry wood. Good luck. Looks like you have developed a hobby.

do you have some detailed pics of that smoke daddy? if you watched my vids you can see my home made cold smoker. any help is good
wink.png

rather than type in a couple of recipes that I use I will tell you guys where to find them.

for a basic rub, that can be adapted easily, I like Danny Gouldens all purpose rub. find it here: http://www.cbbqa.org/wiki/index.php?title=BBQ_FAQ:_Rubs along with lots of other recipes that I have not tried. I use danny's on ribs and pork butt.

for smoking fish I like the info and recipes found here: http://extension.oregonstate.edu/fch/food-preservation LOTS of good stuff in here, the basic fish brine and process are what I use.

another thing I like is to buy a corned beef brisket at the store when they are on sale. then I rinse and dry and rub with fresh coarse ground pepper and smoke, MMMMM! good stuff!

cheers
Jerry

that 1st link is the nuts thanks for sharing u da man
droolin.gif

the smoke daddy is an external unit that you put chips in, apply a propane torch in the bottom to start chips smoking, An aquarium pump puts air in through a venturi drawing the smoke into your smoker. at any time you can increase or stop the smoke. You don't have to open the smoker door to add chips, so you don't lose your temperature. You can add smoke at any time of your cooking cycle. I use a bleed off valve in the blue hose to regulate the air going into the venturi. About 50$ off the web. Would be easy to make yourself. Hope the pic helps.

the smoke daddy is an external unit that you put chips in, apply a propane torch in the bottom to start chips smoking, An aquarium pump puts air in through a venturi drawing the smoke into your smoker. at any time you can increase or stop the smoke. You don't have to open the smoker door to add chips, so you don't lose your temperature. You can add smoke at any time of your cooking cycle. I use a bleed off valve in the blue hose to regulate the air going into the venturi. About 50$ off the web. Would be easy to make yourself. Hope the pic helps.

thanks for the info, what stops the chips falling straight though and whats that wooden knob for?

well its a lovely sunny day with snow on the ground. i have knocked the ice off the ugly drum smoker fired her up and the ribs are in.
i will put a vid up later and let you know how it went.

Back
Top Bottom