food smoking are you a smoker of meats? can you help? share your recipes!

Chris,

it looks in the pic like you pulled the membrane off your ribs, good show. I think a lot of people do not know how much of a difference this makes in rib quality.

glad you liked the link, you might google " meatball glen oaks" to check out one of by BBQ endeavours!

enjoy

Jerry

Chris,

it looks in the pic like you pulled the membrane off your ribs, good show. I think a lot of people do not know how much of a difference this makes in rib quality.

glad you liked the link, you might google " meatball glen oaks" to check out one of by BBQ endeavours!

enjoy

Jerry

Jerry your right i did remove the membrane well spotted.
now i made the ribs and only used charcoal briquettes no wood i got i nice smoke flavor BUT a yaky after taste is this the charcoal ?
here's a vid of how it went. i let my son edit the vid for me

now i made the ribs and only used charcoal briquettes no wood i got i nice smoke flavor BUT a yaky after taste is this the charcoal ?

could be, when I do ribs I always give them about 5 and a half hours at around 225 degrees and I use wood for the first half then just charcoal.

did you have something between the ribs and the coals? if the grease was dripping down there that could be it. in both of my pits there is something to catch the grease.

cheers
Jerry

could be, when I do ribs I always give them about 5 and a half hours at around 225 degrees and I use wood for the first half then just charcoal.

did you have something between the ribs and the coals? if the grease was dripping down there that could be it. in both of my pits there is something to catch the grease.

cheers
Jerry

no Jerry nothing to catch the grease
sad.png
hmmm i will have to sort some thing out. gona try some wood lump charcoal on my next cook up

cheers
Jerry

I wish i had seen this thread earlier, but I'm jumping in.
A preferred method for spare ribs is a 3-2-1 technique. 3 hrs on the smoker, 2 hrs wrapped in foil on the smoker and 1 hr out of the foil and on the smoker. this works great but is a bit of work. I have gone to a 5 hrs on the smoker. I like them with a little bite in them and slightly dry.
If your foods taste yuky and you are burping smoke later in the evening. You have made creosote while cooking. To much smoke, not necessarily to long on the smoke. You want a Thin Blue Smoke, not a white smoke. I have a UDS, I light 6 briquettes and add them to the center of my charcoal basket. I have 6-8 chunks of seasoned wood, not green, laying around the basket. It will hold 250ish for 15 hrs.
If you go to the Smoking Meat forum, I have pics there under "rw willy" . Check my threads that I have started. if you can't find any pics I will post them here.

no Jerry nothing to catch the grease
sad.png
hmmm i will have to sort some thing out. gona try some wood lump charcoal on my next cook up

It looks like a Ugly Drum Smoker, right?
If it is you do not need to catch or divert the grease.
They work by restricting air. I assume you have a ball valve or damper on the intakes. Thought I saw something on the first video. The grease will slowly burn off as the charcoal ignites. Because there is so little air, there are no flare ups. the only time grease was an issue for me? I was smoking a 23 lb pig. Grease actually inhibited the charcoal from igniting and I fought temps that were low. Still maintained 210ish for the last 3 hrs. That suckling pig was great, took 10 hrs.

I'm perfecting my recipe for smoking eggs. So far if I get it right, they taste like bacon and eggs without the bacon. Hard boil the eggs in VERY salty brine. Chill, then replace in the brine (if you refrigerate it, might take 2-3 days to soak, but if you leave at room temp after the water has cooled, 1 day is enough). when ready to smoke, bring them slowly up to about 200F in the oven (I find that muffin tins work well but the eggs will "sweat" and might stain the tins) then smoke at about 200F (as low as 170, but not much higher than 200) for 6-8 hours depending on egg size. PM me for more details!

I wish i had seen this thread earlier, but I'm jumping in.
A preferred method for spare ribs is a 3-2-1 technique. 3 hrs on the smoker, 2 hrs wrapped in foil on the smoker and 1 hr out of the foil and on the smoker. this works great but is a bit of work. I have gone to a 5 hrs on the smoker. I like them with a little bite in them and slightly dry.
If your foods taste yuky and you are burping smoke later in the evening. You have made creosote while cooking. To much smoke, not necessarily to long on the smoke. You want a Thin Blue Smoke, not a white smoke. I have a UDS, I light 6 briquettes and add them to the center of my charcoal basket. I have 6-8 chunks of seasoned wood, not green, laying around the basket. It will hold 250ish for 15 hrs.
If you go to the Smoking Meat forum, I have pics there under "rw willy" . Check my threads that I have started. if you can't find any pics I will post them here.
thank you for the info, i did think of the 3-2-1 but as i was not using any wood i thought it may be ok just to let it be.
feel free to post any pics.

It looks like a Ugly Drum Smoker, right?
If it is you do not need to catch or divert the grease.
They work by restricting air. I assume you have a ball valve or damper on the intakes. Thought I saw something on the first video. The grease will slowly burn off as the charcoal ignites. Because there is so little air, there are no flare ups. the only time grease was an issue for me? I was smoking a 23 lb pig. Grease actually inhibited the charcoal from igniting and I fought temps that were low. Still maintained 210ish for the last 3 hrs. That suckling pig was great, took 10 hrs.

yeh i have the UDS and on my last vid you can see how it's setup the damper at the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom