Food Suggestions??

freerangeandfreedom

In the Brooder
Jun 16, 2018
Central OK
I was wondering if anyone knew the best food for my ladies...

I have several girls who are older (I’m talking 5 years) but are still laying semi-regularly...

My problem is, even though the eggs are fine inside, the outside looks a little scary sometimes.

Also, most of the eggs I get aren’t very clean (picture at the bottom).

I’m not looking to spend a whole lot more than I am now (less than $15 per bag) but I would like to help my hens if they need some more calcium, nutrients, etc.

Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks!
2AB1B589-23F0-4927-987B-85EFC550A4E7.jpeg

Get a 50lb bag of oyster shell (it lasts forever) and it’s cheaper than the small bags. OS can be put in a separate dish and they will get what they need. Then get a bag of flock feed or chick feed. With age sometimes egg shells get a little wonky.
As for dirty eggs check for dirty nest boxes and dirty feet. You may need something in their coop or run to keep it cleaner. Such as straw or pine shavings.

Another thing have your birds been dewormed?

Thank you! I always make sure the nesting boxes are clean so I don’t think that is the issue but I will keep checking. Dirty feet would be possible, but they do have full grass in the bottom of their coop.

As far as deworming, I think we used to put some diatomaceous earth in their food but other than that they haven’t been given anything else.

I do plan on getting some Oyster Shell soon.

Please describe scary eggs.

Dirty feet can cause that, especially if it has rained.

Older hens don't uptake vitamins and minerals as readily as younger birds.
Enhanced essential amino acids, vitamins and minerals can help immensely. Cut treats to a minimum. Get a jug of Nutri-Drench and dose their water according to label directions.

DE is NOT a dewormer. If you've never done so, have a fecal sample from a couple of the birds read to determine if they have worms and what type.

I'm sorry you lost them and weren't able to correct the issue. If the egg shells were wonky, AKA misshapen or ridged, that can indicate a respiratory disease among other things.
Losing several birds in the course of a couple weeks indicates that a necropsy is imperative.

Here is your poultry lab.
Oklahoma Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory
Oklahoma State University, College of Vet. Med.
Farm & Ridge Road
Stillwater, Oklahoma 74078-0001
Phone: 405-744-6623

Otherwise, I wouldn't bring in any new birds till you know what killed the others.

We actually had to put them down ourselves because as much as I love my hens, I don’t have the money to pay for extra food for the ones that aren’t laying, and I don’t want them to suffer anymore than they have to. When they get to 4 years like some of the ones I have now, they aren’t laying enough to pay for their food.
All of my hens seem to be very healthy, and they have a large grass area for their pen. We also let them out almost every afternoon (after they are done laying) to free-range on our property. In five years we have only lost a few chickens to coyotes or dogs.

Back
Top Bottom