Food to help the molting process

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by familyfarm1, Oct 20, 2014.

1. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    What is the best protein high food in your opinion to give to a molting flock. Also, my local feed store is TSC and they don't seem to carry BOSS. Where else could I get it?

2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    I give my girls hard-boiled egg, shell and all, crushed/crumbled up real fine...they go crazy for it, gives them a protein boost. Also I give them black oil sunflower seeds...

3. mtngirl35

mtngirl35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    I know some people don't agree with it but I gave my girls 4Health catfood which is 32% protein. I buy it for my cat at TSC. I also gave them cut up boiled eggs and cooked pinto beans.

4. familyfarm1

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    OK, thank you I'll give it a go. I've heard a lot about BOSS and would like to try it, I really wish I could find it!

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I feed my chickens a game bird grower feed when they're molting. It has 23% protein. Other things you can supplement them with include mealworms, scrambled or hard boiled eggs, and wet cat food. You may be able to find BOSS or a mix of it at a store that sells birdseed for wild birds.

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

My gals get a coarse grain FF as a base and always with a side salad [​IMG]

Not only when they are molting they also get eggs (scrambled and boiled; I mash up the boiled eggs, shell and all), beef, tuna, chicken, mince and as a treat cheese (not too much; once a week). All of those would help during the molt process though.

Some folks do not like to feed their chickens meat and I respect that; different strokes etc :)

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    When in molt you want to bump there proteins and to a point fats.

Black Oil Sunflower Seeds will help with the fat but has a lot of undeletable fiber.
    A better way would be either offering Hulled Sunflower seeds/ Sunflower hearts, Hemp Seed, Olive Oil, Animal Fats or Full Fat Soybean/Whole Roasted.
    On a side note the Full Fat Soybean will also up the much needed proteins.

For upping the proteins a good Game Bird feed that contains Animal proteins and one that is around 20% protein is great or even a good Meat based dog food like Bil-Jac is good to use.

I myself, I use a 20% game bird feed as there regular feed all year round and that help a lot when molt sets in.
    When my birds do hit a molt I do add a good Carnivore Fish Pellet and Bil-Jac to there regular feed then I offer a vitamin/mineral mix in there water.

8. familyfarm1

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks!

9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Mealworms, peas, meat scraps, eggs, oatmeal, quinoa, fish scraps, sunflower seeds and beans are all good protein filled foods.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by