Food/water at night

JoyV

Songster
Aug 30, 2019
Hello all.
My girls are going on 5 weeks. I am Arizona so I have had them outside during the day for the past couple days. I want to transfer them to coop full time soon. I’m confused about food and water at night. Should I leave it out how it is in the picture, or does it need to be where they roost (upper coop) area, or do I want it out of coop all together to prevent rats/etc. thank you!

Attachments

• 181BEEF8-D630-4DA9-858B-7F1A32A61FDC.jpeg
    181BEEF8-D630-4DA9-858B-7F1A32A61FDC.jpeg
    572.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 10A3F9AF-B3F4-481F-AFB5-42DFDC14C470.jpeg
    10A3F9AF-B3F4-481F-AFB5-42DFDC14C470.jpeg
    631.8 KB · Views: 16
I can't tell from the picture, but if that little door to the upper coop area closes, put the food and water in there at night. If it does not, I would only put the water in at night, as food can attract predators. Good luck with your flock!

It does not close. I feel like they will just poop in their water if it’s in the upper coop area

It's not like they eat or drink at night. I might leave in a waterer so they can have a drink if they wake before you do, but the food would go. I don't like rats, you don't like rats, we all don't like rats (at least in the coop. I'm told domestic ones make charming pets.)

They don't eat and drink at night. Unless you plan to lock them in during the day at some point, they don't need food and water in the coop. Like mentioned, at best it's of no value, at worst it may draw rats and the water could spill.

If you have the time and inclination, you could put a secure can outside the run and put the feeder in it every night after they go to bed. That would prevent rats getting into it.

Back
Top Bottom