Fooled Me! Blame the DH for This One, LOL.

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
My broody Nugget hatched five chicks. Four were Barred EEs (BR roo over Ameraucana hens) and one was a pure Blue Orpington....or so I thought. Originally, there was one pure Blue Orp egg in the clutch that we put under Nugget one evening. The next morning, DH informed me that he found a Blue Orp in a nest and put it under my hen as well, making 2 Blue Orp eggs. One was not fertile and was removed so one of the Orps hatched. As you know, you cant tell what's going on under a broody hen to monitor the hatch very well. All five that were fertile did hatch--we recovered all the shells. We just did not see what came out of what shell.

The tiny ones are five days old and their wing feathers are coming in. I see barring on the wing of the little blue EE chick and think, oh how cute!Then I realize that this chick was the one I thought was a pure Blue Orp...it has no actual headspot like the others do. I expect a headspot on any BR or BR cross. So, I see that little odd one,the one that is dark smoky color with gold around its eyes and a light comes on....the Orp egg my DH placed under the broody wasnt a pure Blue Orp egg; it was MEG'S!! Meg is in with Suede still for reasons irrelevant to this thread. That would explain how I got a chick with gold on it. The Ameraucanas I have are blues and blacks, so it was a real puzzler as to how the chick had brown/gold on it. I was convinced it was a BR cross due to the spot on its head, but that just threw me off.

I originally thought I had three black and one blue barred EE chicks and just one blue Orp chick, but turns out I have two blue barred and two black barred EEs and one Blue Orp over RIRxBuff Orp chick. Not what I had planned.
hmm.png
On the other hand, I'm psyched that TWO of the four EE babies are blue! Awesome!!!

See pics below-see the tiny blue barred wings???
Picture052.jpg
Picture062.jpg

Picture060.jpg

Picture056.jpg

Picture054.jpg

Last edited:
ok gotta say I didnt understand a lot of what you said about the breeds and crossing them since im so new to the whole chicken thing...... but I do know those are some really adorable chicks and the hen is a beauty too.

I just love how some crosses turn out. Guess that's how we eventually end up getting new varieties. Thanks for sharing.

Oh, the mama and baby pics are the best!
love.gif

Nugget is doing so well and the blue babies are adorable, but so are the others, even with a little gold on it.

By the way, love the new avatar!

Back
Top Bottom