Foolish! Got two new hens...they're not healthy!

EggGardener

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 8, 2009
Yesterday I went to purchase two new hens. I currently have four. They are two years old and it seems like a good time to bring in some younger birds.
I promised myself that if the place was dirty or unsanitary I would not get birds. It was....and I couldn't stand to leave them there.
Two 4-mo old americaunas are in my garage now in a dog kennel. One is wheezing. Not all the time--I think its when its stressed. Their poop smells bad, but I don't think they had access to anything but scratch grains. I wont bring them back to that place.
I have them on water w/ACV, a natural wormer (www.verm-x.com). Their necks look puffy or swollen but don't feel swollen.
Is the wheezing/smelling droppings serious? What should I do?

Have you tried an antibiotic related to chronic respiratory disease. I have CRD and can't treat because I sell the eggs for human consumption. My big downsize to CRD is I don't sell my birds to others who have flocks. I will give away extra roos to people who are stocking their freezer or understand what I have. The birds will be carriers for life. If you don't want to infect your original birds, cull the new ones.

PS. I got CRD by doing exactly what you did.

Hopes this helps and I feel your pain!
Colby in KY

Be very, very careful about cross-contamination between these new birds and the rest of your flock.

Can you call a local vet and ask for advice?

At the beginning of having chickens I did bring in some full grown ones (which I don't anymore) and they had various reactions to the stress of moving and perhaps their life before I got them.
What I would do before anything else would be to give Vet-Rex and clean up their nasal area.
Yesterday one of my hens was wheezing and I did what I suggested and she's fine today...wheezing is gone. Many times the nasal area gets clogged up especially in the Spring when the land is muddy. I use the base of a feather to unplug them...HTH...

Thanks for your input. I am going to call around tomorrow and see if I can find a vet who could offer some advice.
And if the chicken's condition hasn't changed, I'm going to take them back or cull them. Its possible that this is due to the stress of their living conditions and the move. My daughter's been offering them lettuce and sprouts and treats.
One of the chickens seems fine. Chicken A sounds like it has snot in its throat. But Chicken B has also been exposed. (if we keep them, my kids want to name them Optimus Prime--my son's choice! and Vivian--daughters choice!LOL) We have four healthy chickens already, and I don't want to jeopardize them.
The tale of CRD was a wake up call.
Thank you for all of your advice. Maybe I'll just leave it at four, or order chicks from a reputable breeder.
No more chickens from filthy pens for me!!

welcome-byc.gif

I can understand you wanting to bring those girls home! I did the same thing when I got my original chicks. Fortunately they seem very healthy, but I do not know if they are carriers, and would not do it again. If you read some of the horror stories about people bringing in chickens, and making their whole flock sick, or worse, having to cull their entire flock, you would not hesitate to do what you need to do. Even a healthy looking bird can get sick from a dormant virus, from the stress of moving. Best wishes and try not to get to attached to them!

Have they been dusted? Put polysporin on their feet and legs and beaks and combs. Wash before you go in to see your chickens. Ask a vet about the anti biotic, All antibiotics do not resolve respiratory problems. Good luck

P.S never wear your shoes into someone else's barn. Bring some shoes you can clean off with bleach.

IMO-- keep them separated until they are no longer wheezing-- BUT: My aracauna is like that- she gasps when freaked out..

Use polyvisol (baby vitamins) in their water, An organic medicated feed for them and an antibiotic in their water for a couple weeks... if by then they are better and you feel safe, place the entire kennel in the coop to introduce them slowly!

Back
Top Bottom