Foot infection?

chiki1

Chirping
Jan 6, 2022
Today we noticed one of our turkeys feet are swollen - the entirety of one and a back toe on the other. It doesn't appear to be bumblefoot from what I've seen, as the masses are squishy with no scab. He's not limping and doesn't seem lethargic or showing any other physical symptoms. I'm thinking he jumped off of our run and cut his feet on a rock or landed wrong (we are working to get them into a secure run where they can't jump high). We're not sure if we should put blue kote or anything like that on it (there are unfortunately no vets that treat birds in my area). Hes heavy so we weren't able to look on the underside of his feet.
Snapchat-628369027.jpg
Snapchat-371646231.jpg

Are there any scabs on the foot pads? There could be a sprained foot or a fracture. I would limit the activity inside a pen with food and water for the week. Is a vet available for an xray? Aspirin or meloxicam are 2 things that might reduce swelling and help pain.

Are there any scabs on the foot pads? There could be a sprained foot or a fracture. I would limit the activity inside a pen with food and water for the week. Is a vet available for an xray? Aspirin or meloxicam are 2 things that might reduce swelling and help pain.
Im not sure if there are any scabs under his foot because it's hard to lift him (50+ lbs), but we're checking tomorrow. There are no avian vets near us unfortunately, so we can't get him X-rayed. We'll definitely try the aspIrin tomorrow, thank you!

I would try an Epsom salt soak. Even if it's swelling from a sprain or something that should help with the swelling. I would expect limping if it were a sprain or break

I am more familiar with chickens, but I hope others will chime in to help. Warm soaks may well help if that is possible in such a big bird.

Back
Top Bottom