Foot infection!

Chriswill

Hatching
7 Years
Jan 15, 2013
My chicken has an infection on the top of its foot on the knuckle. We have tried Epsom salt soaks and we lanced the infected area and wrapped the area and treated with antibacterial ointment but it has come back again. Im not sure how to post the picture but it is an enlarged pinkish knot about the size of a small marble on top of the knuckle. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Last edited:
In addition to the Epsom salt soaks and antibiotic cream, it would probably be a good idea to get him/her on some antibiotics. For bacterial infection, Pennicillin has been said to be the best, but in a pinch I wouldn't hesitate to use Tetracycline, but I think it is more targeted to internal infections like respiratory infections, however it would probably help with the foot infection also. If it came back, to me, that's a sign that you need to give chicken some antibiotic meds., but I would continue the soaks and ointment also (neosporin is what I use with great results, and a lot of other folks on here recommend that also. It is VERY important that you do not use any antibiotic cream (besides neosporin) with pain relief in it as it is toxic to chickens. The neosporin uses a different pain ingredient than most others and is okay to use (that's what I've been using). Tetracycline can be bought at most feed & seed stores and Tractor Supply Company has different ones also. Maybe someone else can tell you more, but that's a start IMHO.

Thank you for the advice!! Do you think we should try and open up the infected area to allow the infection to drain while we treat it with neosporin and antibiotics? Could this be bumble foot? It isn't on the bottom of the foot...her pads look fine, it's on top so I wasn't sure. I can post a picture if you can tell me how (sorry we are new to this site!). Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom