Hen_House04

In the Brooder
Jun 26, 2023
Hey there! First timer for bumble foot and it has this chicken mama in a tizzy!!
I’ve soaked and soaked her foot in warm epsom salt for the past 3 days and have been trying to pull the bumble out with a pair of clean tweezers. I’ve sprayed vetrx on it every night and keep it wrapped in guaze to keep clean. Last night I pulled the thick pieces off the top, thinking I got it all!! Then to find out that it was still hard and it think I have to keep digging🫣😵‍💫 she also has developed a white pus lookin’ pouch right above it. Do I keep doing what I’m doing? Or should I take her to the vet?? I can’t stand the thought of her hurting!!! TIA!
Pictures of her foot from 3 days ago and pictures of her foot last night!

Attachments

• C4A4E782-3D51-4B31-8257-5D1C2FD6FAC3.jpeg
    C4A4E782-3D51-4B31-8257-5D1C2FD6FAC3.jpeg
    463.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 4148878B-0E4B-4618-A8BB-F74637B28753.jpeg
    4148878B-0E4B-4618-A8BB-F74637B28753.jpeg
    397.6 KB · Views: 17
The two photos look like before and after. But I have trouble reading photos. The one on the left looks like a bumble scab is still present. The second looks like scab and pus plug (a solid waxy yellow thing usually attached to the scab) have been removed. If you've removed the pus plug and all that's left is wet subcutaneous tissue with a little pinkish serum floating on the surface, stop digging. Further excavation only damages tissue and prevents new tissue growth.

VetRx won't do anything to help heal tissue, but Vetericyn will. Spray the cleaned wound with it, let dry, and pack the crater with triple antibiotic ointment, cover with gauze and bandage with Vetrap, but not so tightly circulation is cut off. Remove bandage in two or three days and check the wound. It should have a nice pink thin scab. If it has a dark scab and there's red around the edges, you need to soak again and repeat the above process.

If you're sure some is still in there, I think I'd buy some PRID or drawing cream, smear that on there, cover with gauze and wrap it on there with vet wrap.

Here is an article doing it more your way.

Another method is if you'd happen to have a pool noodle, cut about a 1/2" off the end and fasten that to her foot. The bumblefoot then gets no pressure and sometimes comes out on its own. Someone posted that here too, that was advised by their vet.

Here's another good article on bumblefoot. There are videos on YouTube that can help you if you go this route.

The two photos look like before and after. But I have trouble reading photos. The one on the left looks like a bumble scab is still present. The second looks like scab and pus plug (a solid waxy yellow thing usually attached to the scab) have been removed. If you've removed the pus plug and all that's left is wet subcutaneous tissue with a little pinkish serum floating on the surface, stop digging. Further excavation only damages tissue and prevents new tissue growth.

VetRx won't do anything to help heal tissue, but Vetericyn will. Spray the cleaned wound with it, let dry, and pack the crater with triple antibiotic ointment, cover with gauze and bandage with Vetrap, but not so tightly circulation is cut off. Remove bandage in two or three days and check the wound. It should have a nice pink thin scab. If it has a dark scab and there's red around the edges, you need to soak again and repeat the above process.
I can confirm one time my horse took a sharp corner too fast slipped,fell my knee was all bloody they sprayed me with some vetricyn all better in a week

Back
Top Bottom